Featured Not sure if this little guy is old or not

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by AzWifenMom, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

The Dutch couple in their outfits look wonderful !!! ... Joy. :)

Bronwen, Any Jewelry and sabre123 like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are wearing the dress of visitors to a wedding. This has become known as the archetypal Volendam outfit. And to some people the archetypal Dutch outfit, even though this is unique to Volendam and other Dutch costumes are very different.

My favourite is her necklace, which looks the real deal.
    Volendammer coral necklaces are rare and expensive, and copies are made for people who can't afford them and for tourists who have their photo taken in Volendammer costume.

[​IMG]
    https://www.antiekesieraden.nl/pd-2...er_met_gouden_slot_streekdracht_volendam.html

Typical of Volendam are the huge Mediterranean coral beads and the rectangular clasp with a miniature painting of a fishing boat.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  3. Christmasjoy

LOVELY !!! ... :)

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Christmasjoy

The colour reminds me a lot like the necklace that my Aunty gave me when I was a child.. it went "missing" the very next day ... it wasn't as gorgeous as the one above, just a single strand of lovely coral beads, it's vivid in my mind :):) ... Joy.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted