Featured Not the Greatest, but Something I've Never Seen Before . . . Have You?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Aug 11, 2019.

1. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Oooo - may I bitch & moan about my now-4-year old Whirlpool refrigerator?

During the hot-hot-hot days a couple of weeks ago, it failed - for the THIRD TIME in 2 years. I opened it on a Saturday morning to find the temp inside was climbing toward 70° F, and everything inside was wet and on its way to moldy.

Again, this was the THIRD time, and once again, tons of food went down the disposal or out in the trash.

Here's just a bit of wasted stuff. (Note the temps on the thermometers stuck in the fish & chicken...)
    IMG_0033.JPG IMG_0031.JPG IMG_5814.JPG IMG_5816.JPG IMG_0044.JPG

For the love of Pete - appliances are supposed to WORK!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

All of which is why I sprung (sprang?) for the 5 Year service agreement on the new Samsung fridge I bought a couple weeks ago. Interesting note, the delivery guys (not employees of the place I bought the fridge or of Samsung, private contractors) said there are no Samsung repair people out here in Boonie City where I live, closest are in Chicago, 2 hours away. So if it breaks, they will just replace it! Sounds good to me! It also covers I think $200 in food loss!

Linda

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Linda, this is a case where the service agreement is well worth the price! (But may you NEVER need to use it!)

4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Ah, so the sandwich fixings for a weeks worth of lunch are insured!:rolleyes:

5. rknarr2

rknarr2 Well-Known Member

I will have to keep that in mind next time I have to get a new refrigerator. By the way, my sister and brother in law bought an LG side by side with a small freezer drawer and larger freezer drawer below. It has like two different ice shaved or cubed and push a button to get the water at a certain temperature. I think its black stainless steel paid a bunch of money on. Oops. Rob

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I threw out so much food last night as my fridge died. I could hardly lift the garbage bag.
    I am waiting for the new one to come today. I wish they would hurry up and get here.

7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Pearls, I hope it gets there soon - and cools off FAST! (I forgot about that last part... It took AGES for mine to cool down again!)

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Thanks SBSVC. It came and now it needs to be cooled down. Will wait till tomorrow to buy any food. Fingers crossed, all will go well.

kyratango and SBSVC like this.
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

My new frig will be delivered tomorrow morning. I was hoping to buy something to eat tomorrow afternoon. What's a Cool Down? I've never heard to that. Does it just go up really fast and then you have to wait on it? Hubby will be annoyed. We've been eating so much toast in the last few days.

Rob, don't worry about your brother's new frig. I think you either get a good one or a lemon, just depends. I actually seriously looked at another LG. In the store, they look exactly like the one I had. Figured maybe they worked out all the kinks since I bought my old one. But just couldn't reward them like that.

Linda, Best Buy won't give longer than a 3 year agreement. No food spoilage allowance either. I took 3 terribly heavy trash bags out last night and the night before. It figures that the frig went out the day AFTER trash pick up day. I have the lid on real tightly and I plan to warn Rumpke when they come by that it's heavy and it STINKS.

SBSVC and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I told my friend about this yesterday and she was appalled at the impact this has on our landfills and the earth's resources. I'm off to find out how to contact LG and let them know my opinion of their product.

pearlsnblume and kyratango like this.
  11. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Not long ago, a neighbor and I went shopping for a new refrigerator. She was dying to have a bigger one, and stainless.

I, who ALWAYS carry a book with me, this time, did not.
    :( :( It took her nearly two hours to make a choice!

Couple of days later, she called me to look out my window. There in the driveway was a delivery truck. There also in the driveway, was a very large, stainless refrigerator, seemingly rooted to the ground.

"What happened?" said I.

"The motor fell out." said my neighbor.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    pearlsnblume likes this.
  12. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

silverthwait and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Cool as the OP's pieces are, I still can't fathom how they lead to a conversation on kitchen appliances......................:p:p

14. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Pam, the thing is, the fridge doesn't cool down to the right temperature right away. Depending on the model, it can take a few hours to get cool enough to safely store food.

I suggest a fridge thermometer, just to be safe. They're small - maybe 2" tall, so they don't take up much room. I got mine after the first fridge "meltdown", and it's the very first thing I check any time I open the fridge door.

Here's a photo of the one I have.* I got it at a local chain hardware store. They carry them at lots of places - maybe even your local grocery store, and they only cost a couple of dollars. Well worth it for the peace of mind, believe me!

fridge thermometer.JPG

* The temp is in the "danger zone" because I took it out of the fridge to take a picture!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    A repairman told me there is only two companies making refrigerators. Most of them no matter what the name says is made by these two companies. The company's all get the products from Korea. It is horrible that there are none made in the USA anymore.
    greg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  16. silverthwait

We could all learn to like Kimchi?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  17. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Our Bosch ovens have a Sabbath mode - always wondered what that was. I guess I should read the manual. Just seems crazy that one would set them to not work - just don't turn them on. (BTW, we put in all Bosch appliances about 8 years ago. Not a single problem so far.)

18. silverthwait

Anything like my computer's "airplane mode?"

pearlsnblume likes this.
  19. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

I agree wholeheartedly!

I discovered the dying fridge when the meat in the freezer had begun to defrost. I til most of it and put it in my big freezer in the garage and posted on Facebook marketplace that i had "critter food" free. I still had 2 that thought they were getting free groceries but i made it clear I wasn't sure the food was safe, it was dog and cat food only. A gal came late in the day, lives on a farm and has 4-5 dogs and a passel of cats. We loaded up her car!

@ola402 Pssst! Home Depot!

Linda

LIbraryLady and pearlsnblume like this.
  20. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

The End of the Fridge Journey . . . Best Buy delivered a new Whirlpool yesterday. Hope I have better luck than SBSVC. It was supposed to come Friday, but I postponed it because my owner's manual on the LG said the Compressor was warranted by the Manuf. for 10 years.

However, had to call Sears (who is still operating their appliance repair service). Talked to a rep named Diego, explained everything and he set up an appointment for the following Saturday. Guess what? They never showed up!! Called Sears again and the woman had no explanation, just that there was no apptment in their system. I was hoping they could repair the compressor under warranty and then I wouldn't need a new fridge.

At that point hubby was beyond livid so we decided to take delivery on the new refrigerator. So . . . I am out the cost of a new fridge, ALL of the food in the fridge, and I had to pay $400 more to get this new one, because the Whirlpool I really wanted wasn't available until September. The new LGs were on sale but I just couldn't pull the trigger on one. And they are all "wi-fi enabled" etc. One even has a tablet built into the door (that should last what, about a year?).

I feel like a target, a mark, a victim of some scheme to suck all the money these people can get out of me. As a consumer, I really want to fight back but don't know how. Major appliances should last longer than 8 years. Yet, the whole industry seems to be taking the incredibly short system life as just the way it is.

The whole thing was incredibly stressful and I'm glad it's finally over. (End of Whine)

PS - Hubby felt obligated to tip the trashman due to the incredibly foul odor emanating from the can. He tossed it, including the can, in a few seconds and was happy for the tip. The can stunk so bad that we had to keep it outside for a couple of days (odor in garage was seeping into house). Hubs had multiple strategies for keeping away the critters.

pearlsnblume and SBSVC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted