Numismatic Fraud Mystery

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Bronwen, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Bronwen, would an imposter piece such as potentially this one you mention still have the crack in the foremost girl's neck, and the crushed thumb on the hand held above her head?? Just in learning mode here!!!!

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Good observation & good evidence that what Christie's sold was indeed wax & they were not bamboozled by one of these extremely good replicas. Having observed numerous inaccuracies in descriptions of cameos offered by the major auction houses, I have little enough faith in them. I would have none left for Christie's if their 'experts' had fallen for what the Antiques Roadshow guy recognized as fake. These pieces are ubiquitous, & taken for what they appear to be more often than not.

kyratango and Aquitaine like this.
  3. Dave47

Dave47 Active Member

The piece is decidedly not Russian - the inscription is not in Cyrillic at all. I do not know the size of the token or medal from the image, alas, but can aver it is not of Russian origin, quite surely.

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Bronwen

Thanks for taking a look. The other medallions that are embedded into the reverses of the faux marble plaques are copies of genuine works that had absolutely nothing at all to do with the images on the obverses, so there is at least a fair chance that this St. Petersburg mark is also copied from something genuine, if misappropriated.

5. Bronwen

6. amateurhour

amateurhour New Member

Any Jewelry, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

Welcome, amateurhour. Welcome to my own personal rabbit hole. Thanks for the link to the listing. I save photos for reference & sometimes for convincing a seller like this that they have a very nice faux marble & faux bronze wall decoration. Probably should just send them to Antiques Road Show, cuz why should they believe me?

This one is pernicious because the medal on the back & the inscription on the front go together. There are others just like it with a different, unrelated medal on the back, making it easier to recognize that something's not right.

The products of this company intrude now & then on the thread devoted to cameos. If you pick up here CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer you will see another recent case. It is tagged to kyratango because she has also tried to research the matter for me, but she won't mind if you read it too. There are additional posts on the subject sprinkled through subsequent ones.

If you like the boxes, you may enjoy the cameo thread in general. :)

8. amateurhour

amateurhour New Member

Thank you for your warm welcome! I look forward to perusing the knowledge to be found here!

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  9. Bronwen

You might particularly enjoy this post: CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @amateurhour

Bronwen likes this.