Featured Odd old glass dish - cased green band, gold decoration.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bookahtoo, Jul 14, 2020.

1. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Didn't find it in my Culver book, the Culver book leaves a lot to be desired in terms of clarity of photos because the author basically came to us who had them for sale and asked if he could use our listing photos in his book in exchange for information about Culver. Many listings were very dark.

I thought he would give me info so I said yes, you can use my photo, turns out he knew nothing more than I did.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  2. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    judy likes this.
  3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

TC, I don't know how you found this image, but that's likely it. I was trying to figure out how the design was done under the color. And now that I've seen this cutting, it makes sense. The other thing that I am curious about it the base. It appears to just be cut off and finished, no rim.

judy likes this.
  4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Tallcakes! That's it! Thank you so much. :):):)

judy likes this.
  5. Bookahtoo

judy likes this.
  6. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

If memory iscorrect the "gold" is on a "tape" which "glues" it on. These were often available commercialy. Unfortunately I do not know who made the glass but it may not be the same organization that did the decorating.

judy and cxgirl like this.
  7. Bookahtoo

Arggh!! But thank you George! :)

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. Bookahtoo

James Conrad likes this.
  9. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Alrighty then! hammered copper/metal is very distinctive, neat that they can do that "look" in glass.

10. Bookahtoo

It is. I thought you'd like to know. ;)

James Conrad likes this.
  11. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

These colored borders were available on a tape that was applied to the rim, and fired on . With painted color this is most likely the case .

12. Bookahtoo

Thanks George.

Draft saved Draft deleted