Featured oil on board seascape - another charmer ?

Discussion in 'Art' started by charlie cheswick, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And even if it was the NR Brimecombe you found, surely he wouldn't have painted it on leave in 1955 if he was in Singapore from 1955-1958?:confused:

When we lived in Oz, we were only allowed leave after two years, not two months. 'Your';) NR Brimecombe may never have been on leave to England, since he was only in Singapore for three years. If this is indeed the same Brimecombe, it is mostly likely he would have painted it before he went to Singapore.

2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Relying strictly on memory (because I'm not convinced it's important, lol), I believe they shipped off in September.

Plenty of 1955-But-Not-Singapore time to paint all manner of paintings from all manner of places. :cat:

3. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

found this frame in the loft, to give it a bit of gravitas!

you reckon it looks ok, or need something more contemporary, certainly makes it pop more

Aviary Photo_132059451628677488.jpg

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, you asked... Think canvas + frame cheapen each other. Painting has charm; needs a frame from period. Quick internet search brings up this as example.

Debora

p1076_1_large.jpg

5. charlie cheswick

i knew you'd give it to me straight deborah :), and thinking your right as well

back to the drawing board, and the loft

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I love the Brimecombe paintings, especially the first one you showed. And agree with Debora that the frame doesn't go with the painting. I'm sure you will find something appropriate!

7. charlie cheswick

any better ? :nailbiting::)

might have to trim the border further back

frame2.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I do like the composition of these paintings. I think the dark blue mount is too strong for these watercolours and takes over. You see that before you see the painting if you see what I mean.

9. charlie cheswick

the painting is such an odd shape, its been hard to find a frame to fit, will have a go at trimming the mount back, so its not so overpowering, didnt look right without a mount either !

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree.
    Trimming it back will certainly show more of the painting, but maybe a mat of a lighter colour?

charlie cheswick likes this.
  11. Houseful

It thought it was watercolour but it’s oil on board?
    A bevel mount cutter is pretty useful if you buy a lot of paintings and prints. I can always find cheap wooden frames from the bootsales or Charity shops that I can re use with a bit of tlc.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. charlie cheswick

Would one think one cheap to paint the mount ?:)

Yeah is a good idea aj, maybe spray paint the mount lighter

Must remember to remove painting first :rolleyes: :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Singapore might be the location, I can't see why not

The boats abd their construction are essentially English.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  14. charlie cheswick

Yeah oil on board

I always use frames from other thift finds

As getting them framed properly would eat any possible profit !

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Houseful

Framers usually put mounts on watercolour to distance the painting from directly pressing on the glass which could damage the painting. Plus it sets off the painting nicely.
    With oils they generally don’t have a mount because the oils are ok exposed to the elements. If you do use a mount with an oil you will have to have glass on top because the mount is only made of card and will deteriorate quickly in damp etc.

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Charlie, that mat + frame combination is a bit oppressive. Think you need to lighten up (literally.) Don't know what your budget is but, in this instance, with this painting, think a professional framer would be your best bet. One with a very good eye and understanding of period frames. JMHO.

Debora

17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I agree with others about the mat color being too strong for the picture. And I still love the painting, too. Thanks for re-energizing this thread.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted