Featured Old New Orleans Fish Sign

Discussion in 'Art' started by antiquelover69, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Okay, now I need to see the toy soldier side. The circled figure looks suspiciously like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. But that would mean "71" is not the creation date.

... could just be a frog with a backpack... oh yes, pictures please of the fishies protest signs and the circled figure.

FYI, I don't think it will help us figure anything out about the artist, but it so fun.

temp01.jpg

2. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

That's a nice sign. If you are going to get rid of it, put it into a nice Auction in NO.

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tag, Bakers, yes I was born and raised in New Orleans, still love to eat in the seafood restaurants there, but have never seen this sign hanging in any of the ones I ate at. I do believe I'd have remembered this sign, and because many of the restaurants are so fancy decorated with art works (local or not), I have no doubt that this was a restaurant decoration. (I still do walk around to peruse the art when I am out anywhere!)

Although I was making art in college in 1971, I do not recognize the initials. It looks like a "naive art" collage (primitive art) by a young Louisiana local for their family's restaurant. It must have been hung up in a cleaner spot, I don't see a lot of grease gunk collected on the figures. How stable is it?

Is it made of paper mâché or some kind of moldable clay type of stuff? Is the red backing the same stuff? Kind of looks like a wooden surround also covered with the mache / clay and paint, What size please?

This could have come out of the Chalmette area, Baton Rouge, Lafayette or the Breaux Bridge areas too, anywhere in Southern Louisiana, really.

4. antidiem

Would not surprise me if the artist went on to work for Blane Kern. The females on your sign look very much like the floozys created for some of the 1970s and 1980s Mardi Gras parade floats!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Thanks for weighing in, anti.

6. antidiem

I must compliment you on your great eyesight though Jivvy, can you see a body beneath it? Without a body, it just looks like a closed clam shell with eye balls, and perhaps not a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, which would def negate the year date marked..

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  7. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what it is.I was going on information seller gave me.I love unusual items and I just had to get this one,after hearing the story,just got me lolol.Maybe it wasn't true but seller got me to buy.

Christmasjoy, judy and antidiem like this.
  8. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Maybe a frog with diving gear? Mask, air tank, flippers?

Screenshot_20181205-141419_Chrome.jpg

9. antiquelover69

Jeff Dean,the words are,"Fin power",Does your life have porpoise",Sea foods of the world unite",Vote the chowder party ticket",Russian travelers go home",Don't feed the jerk on somebody line"

Christmasjoy, anundverkaufen and judy like this.
  10. antiquelover69

I meant Jeff Drum

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Russian...Trawlers....??

12. kingcake

kingcake Member

I love in New Orlean and am a native, not familiar with the sign or the artist. If it is 1971 it would have been outsider art.If is fiberglass it may have decorated a float at one time. Either way it is great..

13. antiquelover69

Kingcake I think it's figerglass

14. antiquelover69

Komokwa yes sorry,I was looking at the pictures again and throught it said travelers,need new eyeglasses lolol

15. antiquelover69

Antidiem,It's in my storage unit,but from what I can remember,it's a little ove 6ft long and about 3 or ft tall.It look like clay but I'm thinking figerglass.

16. antidiem

Yes, looks to be exactly a frog with snorkel equipment.

Christmasjoy and anundverkaufen like this.
  17. antidiem

LOL there is a "Jeff Drum" responded earlier to this thread. @Jeff Drum

18. antidiem

Ah, there's the description I was searching for with "naive" + "primitive"!! = OUTSIDER ART !! YES!!

THANK YOU, IT'S DEF OUTSIDER ART! :cat:

19. antidiem

I think it fortunate that it has not a huge buildup of restaurant grease and grime on it 1971ish-2005ish. I think it was pulled out of the restaurant long before Katrina hit - to live in someone's personal home, but that would not diminish any of it's value. And it would still have had to have been pulled out of a personal home after Katrina because pretty much EVERYTHING had to be pulled out and cleaned off, even if the home didn't have big flooding.

Frankly, I think the story you were told is true, because IF it is fiberglass, mildew / mold odors may not have been able to penetrate it so quickly. Those who didn't evacuate were there to rent the first storage sheds, and could salvage their property faster, before the mold stench set in!

About how heavy do you think it is? The size is impressive!
    What city / state did you find it stored in?

If it were mine, I would try to contact Arthur Hardy - he is an old New Orleans antiques and parade and popular restaurant type of aficionado collector, and may be able to help. He used to produce the New Orleans parade schedule booklets each year. Haven't seen him in some years, I hope he is still alive and well! :cat:

20. antidiem

Thanks @kingcake for the descriptive words. I hate having brain fog! :cat:

Draft saved Draft deleted