Featured Old New Orleans Fish Sign

Discussion in 'Art' started by antiquelover69, Dec 4, 2018.

1. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

I totally agree.

Christmasjoy, antidiem and judy like this.
  2. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

Antidiem,it was in Memphis Tn.The place is closed now.I went back to see if it was still there,it's not.But the storage had lots of really nice unusual items for sale.There was many families who relocated here in Memphis.It's heavy don't know how heavy,but both my grandsons had to lift in but they are not large young men lol.I'll try to google Mr Hardy.Thanks so much!!!

judy, Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and anundverkaufen like this.
  4. antidiem

Christmasjoy and anundverkaufen like this.
  5. antiquelover69

Thanks antidiem,I had found a ask Mr Arthur Hardy.I sent pictures,maybe he will answer,if not I'll go on FB.

6. antidiem

Please let us know any further info you get on your piece, and if you decide to auction it in NOLA, I will like to know how that goes. I have stuff that should go off to an auction house, but not sure which one and what their standards will be for submission, etc. :cat:

Best of wishes to find your festive artwork a new, forever home. :cat:

antiquelover69, judy and i need help like this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I still think it might have been off a float and later placed in a restaurant. Someone is getting a 90 year old baby that had been baked in a Mari Gras cake for 70 some years.
    greg

judy, i need help and antidiem like this.
  8. antidiem

I think this is entirely possible due to the size. Perhaps OP can contact float makers - Blaine Kern - maybe they kept records through the years?

LOL THE KING CAKE BEBE!! :wideyed::yuck:

judy and i need help like this.
  9. antidiem

I should mention that Blaine Kern was NOT the only float maker - if this came off of the side of a truck float - which I think is much more likely - it was probably built in someone's backyard. There is no "secret" to want to keep this piece hidden for any reason as it's already been cross posted with questions, and it will be up for sale. If it were mine, I would consider tossing it up onto "Marketplace" and every other Mardi Gras / NOLA type group on FB - to try to find the origin.

Probably truck float, the more I think about it. I just don't see enough restaurant grease to think it resided in one for very long.

i need help likes this.
  10. antiquelover69

Thanks so much antidiem,but who is Nola? and where are they located?

judy likes this.
  11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

NOLA - New Orleans Louisiana

judy likes this.
  12. antiquelover69

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: lolol didn't even think of that.

anundverkaufen likes this.
  13. antiquelover69

Hi antidiem,I got in touch with Mr Arthur Hardy and this is his answer on FB.
    "Hi I'm afraid the Mardi Gras Guide has no idea what it might be. The story of it hanging in a seafood restaurant seems reasonable. Sorry we can't help more but thanks for writing." I'm guesting that's all,I'm back to square one.

judy and i need help like this.
  14. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

It's more of a decorator item than anything. It's very eye catching and I'm sure someone in the area will want it for another restaurant or shop if you decide to sell. It was most likely put together by someone for a restaurant and they just signed their initials. I doubt you will ever find who made it. It's one of those "put up on the wall and enjoy" type things.

15. antiquelover69

Thanks rink28

judy likes this.
  16. antidiem

Sorry Hardy was not of more help to point you to a source for reference.

After learning the size of it, and if it is, indeed, fiberglass, which the back appears to be, I believe it to be a truck float panel from a Mardi Gras Parade in 1971 (or 1972 at the latest). It may have hung briefly in a restaurant. I believe it was stored in somebody's personal home, not in a restaurant because there is no evidence that I can see of restaurant grease and grime. ..And eventually wound up in a storage shed at some point after Katrina. I don't really think this went through Katrina damages - If you can smell NO MILDEW / MOLD (and you still would lol) - give it a hearty sniff test, esp on the fabric parts (if any) and check for grease / nicotine / grime. You would see dark mold coming off on a rag when you wipe the back...

I've had fun looking at this quirky thang! Thanks for calling my attention to it, Bakers <3 much appreciated.

17. antiquelover69

Thanks so much antidiem! I will check.

judy and antidiem like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted