Featured Old porcelain skull and crossbones demitasse and ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bookahtoo, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!!!!!!!:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::p:D:D:D

2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

So I have another question - should I list all of these pieces, most of which have damage, from a teeny chip to a big chunk broken out, or should I only list the ones that are "perfect"?
    Normally I would remove any piece with damage, but I'm thinking buyers might want all of the pieces, because they seem to be rare.

batch_103_0153.JPG

judy, Aquitaine, Boland and 1 other person like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd list them all. They do appear to be rare.

Debora

4. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

I haven't done eBay for a very long time or even followed automated searches that I had programmed for a very long time either.

But I can't tell you how many times it was so surprising that damaged old pottery items went for tons of money in bidding wars, and the next week the same perfect item would go for less.

I don't know if that kind of happening still applies anymore. But I think I'd list the whole set if it were me, with good description and pictures. Which of course I know you do!

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  5. Bookahtoo

Thanks Debora and Laura.
    I know I should wait until closer to Halloween, but I know from experience, that when the time is ripe, I will forget to do it. :eek:

judy and bercrystal like this.
  6. LauraGarnet02

Hey it's Friday the 13th!

judy and komokwa like this.
  7. Bookahtoo

That's true!

judy likes this.
  8. LauraGarnet02

Since your cups have no handles, I wonder if they're supposed to be punch cups or shot glasses? Though I do think the pedestal dish (or do you have two?) might be the main attraction.

judy likes this.
  9. Bookahtoo

I am assuming that because there are saucers, that these must be cups, but maybe the ones I found were part of a huge set where most of the pieces got broken.

I have 2 pedestal dishes - one is in excellent condition, the other has a huge piece broken out of the bowl.

judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  10. LauraGarnet02

Just looking at these a little more closely I think the cups might be a different maker from the pedestal dishes and saucers. The cups are matte glaze, saucers and pedestal dishes are shiny glaze. All Made in Germany though.

Oh well, I will quit bugging you and let you get back to your work, LOL.

judy likes this.
  11. Bookahtoo

I appreciate the input!

judy likes this.
  12. Bookahtoo

Ok - I've written the listing. I've decided to go with an auction for once.

Please help me come up with a starting price???? :):):):):kiss::kiss::kiss::(:(:( I really need help.

judy likes this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I don't see a reason to wait until Halloween. They'll find a buyer. Can't help with starting price but I wouldn't be shy.

Debora

14. LauraGarnet02

What would you think of a starting bid somewhere between $12.50 - $25.00 each chipped and cracked piece.
    The perfect pieces I would start at $125 each.
    Add it all together for an opening bid?

I'm not much of a strategist. Other braver people would say start at $9.99 and see where it goes from there, LOL!

One cup chipped and cracked
    $25 July 15th 2019
    https://avaluers.org/explore/466577...an_skull_container__probably_german__c___1900

judy likes this.
  15. Bookahtoo

judy likes this.
  16. Bookahtoo

Oh - I posted before I saw your post Laura.

So if I used your idea I would start them at $850?

Yikes. I was thinking $499. IDK. What's the worst that could happen? No bids. :D

judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  17. LauraGarnet02

I didn't realize you had that many pieces that were in perfect condition! But considering the BIN got snapped up for $499 for that single skull, I think you're starting price of $499 will probably skyrocket quickly.
    Woohoo! Time to get out the popcorn.

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  18. Bookahtoo

YAY!!!! I really appreciate your help and encouragement! You too Debora! I'm listing it tonight to start at 8:30 PM.

19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Let us know, will you?

Debora

20. Bookahtoo

Draft saved Draft deleted