Featured Painted Porcelain Pin Help

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by cxgirl, Aug 19, 2020.

1. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

That's quite a distinct combination of surnames, and I see 'Dean' too (in what looks exactly like my grandmother's writing) - maybe that name is misspelled, perhaps by a grandchild who'd heard the name 'Diana' pronounced 'dee-anna', and was a bad speller. My aunt, whose name was spelled 'Joan', was always called 'jo-ann', and even in fairly recent written records in my family there are errors in the spelling of given names

Little access to genealogical records, but just suggesting the lady here, with the same three surnames, and who died at 67 in a 1913 Long Beach pier collapse, as a long-shot possibility: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/6890153/lester-howard-bentley

http://www.cemeteryguide.com/gotw-empireday.html

jonestaylorwallaceheadstone.JPG

~Cheryl

Figtree3, Any Jewelry, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I think it's definitely Dear + Jones + Wallace!! Good eye @cxgirl!!!

cxgirl likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for finding this information and sharing it INH and Cheryl:) Terrible tragedy, so many lost their lives. I guess it could be her, but to me it seems a bit of a stretch. I agree there are lots of errors in the spelling of names though, have seen many in my family:)

thank Aquitaine:)

antidiem and i need help like this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Waldorf and Statler ?

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I find it unlikely that someone who did so well spacing other words would not have started farther left if the intention was to write out Wallace, even if it got cramped on the right. With the pin out of the way I see the possibility of a date on the right edge: '16.

Dean is a girl's name in some parts of the country.

On the spelling vs pronunciation matter, a cousin of my mother's I thought was Jeanette was Janet.

Diana Wallace died in 1913. Can that be reconciled with this portrait?

antidiem likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The only words I'm sure of are "My Mother" and (reasonably sure of) "Taylor."

If the word beginning with J could be Jane, it could also be Jone. The word that starts with Wall or Woll does seem to have letters after that, but I can't really make sense of them. To me, the word beginning with D looks more like Dean but I also like the idea of Dear.

And I love the pin!

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted