Featured Persian papier-mache & lacquer boxes

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 2manybooks, Sep 28, 2019.

1. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I got these three boxes at a recent auction. I have found similar examples attributed to Persia during the 19th century Qajar period, as well as the warning that "the market is flooded by reproductions of the Islamic and Indo-Persian antiques, which for inexperienced collectors look the same as the authentic objects"

I am wondering if anyone here might be familiar with such work, to say if these might be recent repros or actual antiques.

Two have interior marks, which I doubt are signatures. Perhaps they were used to match lid with base in the workshop where more than one of the same shape was being made. The ovoid one is marked Iran-Persia inside.

Any insights welcome.

Persian boxes 1 (640x487).jpg Persian hexagonal box 1 (617x640).jpg Persian hexagonal box 2 (640x613).jpg Persian hexagonal box 3 (640x489).jpg Persian hexagonal box 4 (640x575).jpg Persian rectangular box 2 (611x640).jpg Persian rectangular box 3 (529x640).jpg Persian rectangular box 4 (640x488).jpg Persian ovoid box 1 (640x612).jpg Persian ovoid box 4 (640x407).jpg

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

3. KikoBlueEyes

Did you consider dating the last box by when Iran became the internationally recognized name?

judy and 2manybooks like this.
  4. 2manybooks

Good suggestion.
    "Iran was always known as 'Persia' to foreign governments and was once heavily influenced by Great Britain and Russia. In 1935, however, the Iranian government requested that all countries with which it had diplomatic relations call the country by its Persian name, Iran."
    But given that the Iranians always considered themselves Iran, apparently, the use of both terms might not point to a specific date-after-which. The box that has the country name in it strikes me as possibly a bit later than the other two, although I have no firm basis for saying so.

Figtree3, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

I had thought that Iran was a more modern international name, so that's why I mentioned it. It could have been just a joyful exhibition of patriotic pride.

judy, i need help and 2manybooks like this.
  6. 2manybooks

"This box comes from Iran......OK, Persia, if I must say so for those who don't know better." :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    kentworld, judy and i need help like this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I wonder if that wording indicates it was intended for export to the Western World...? So it would be clear? I guess no way to know for sure.
    I do not see any other in that shape, so far...

judy, KikoBlueEyes and 2manybooks like this.
  8. 2manybooks

It is possible that it was made for export (or at least was allowing for that possibility). That could indicate a late 19th century date (or later) for that box.

judy and i need help like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Don't you think that it would be written in Farsi if it was for Iran/Persian consumption.

judy, 2manybooks and komokwa like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yes...very nicely decorated...

judy, 2manybooks and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. 2manybooks

It doesn't seem they would need a label if it was for local use, but having a label would not preclude local use.

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

labels can fall off over time.....;)

2manybooks and judy like this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the interior marks are number 7 and 8. either model or size or part of a bigger set.

2manybooks and judy like this.
  14. 2manybooks

Thank you! It did not occur to me to check Arabic numerals. :)

15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

just a little trick I learnt when working in Bahrain and couldn't make heads or tails of phone numbers: start turning them by 90 ° till you're at the start again. only ones that were a bit difficult were the potatoe for 5, which symolises a fist, and the full stop for zero.

2manybooks likes this.
  16. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

Lacquered boxes isn't really what I collect but I do collect early (19th-18th c) Persian art boxes and there is some lacquer on those, if they were mine I would say they are 1960's onward tourist wear. When it comes to painting the artwork hasn't changed a great deal. The artwork on these reminds me of 1960's + Khatam edged boxes...sorry

blooey and 2manybooks like this.
  17. 2manybooks

Thank you. Can you point me toward some images of the 18th-19th century Persian boxes you collect, so I can see the differences?

Fid and 808 raver like this.
  18. 808 raver

These are 2 posts from my collection and there are a pair of trays further down that are also Persian from around the same date. Early Khatam from this period isn't the same as what you have or what I mentioned above and as I said I'm not an expert by any means especially on painted lacquer so I could well be wrong but you tend to get an eye for these things. I do have a painted Persian lacquer box, I don't think it's old, if I can find the photo of it I'll post it.
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/t...here-in-the-world-19-18thc.17348/#post-238692
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/large-19th-c-persian-khatam-vanity-box.17281/

2manybooks likes this.
  19. 808 raver

2manybooks likes this.
  20. 808 raver

Draft saved Draft deleted