Featured Pewter or Aluminum? Age? I have some ideas but need confirmation.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Kasperscuriosities, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Kasperscuriosities

Kasperscuriosities Two hundred years too late.

He isn't sure about the 30 it is really small but feels confident in the Lions head. He said it looks like the mgm lion. LOL.

KingofThings likes this.
  2. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

it's for Turkish type coffee, most certainly. That was wildly fashionable amongst the demi monde in the early 20th century. That shape is based on a brik.

Nice set, good quality, lovely shape. Ordinary unmarked hammered pewter isn't high worth, but this is unusual. And yes, would that it were Tudric!

4. Kasperscuriosities

5. Kasperscuriosities

Funny thing about this piece.

As I have mentioned in a couple of other threads I am helping my dad go through some things and downsize. It has been 10 years since my mom passed away to cancer. I was 26 when she died and it was way too soon. Any age is too soon to lose your mom. It was very painful. Of course, I still miss her greatly and think of her often.

Because I am somewhat of a hobbyist in antiques. (Meaning, I have some small collections of my own and sell a few things on online here and there.) My dad asked if I could help him with researching and selling some things.

Most of this stuff hasn't bothered me at all. I mean it's a lot of old stuff, some of it is neat, some of it is just old stuff but I love going through the boxes. It's fun to find things and remember things. I am sure you can all relate. Plus my dad is older and he needs the money. Naturally, I want to help him.

However, knowing that my mom played with this when she was a little girl, I found myself really wanting it to stay with the family. I remember this piece being displayed in my grandmothers house and later in my mom's. It originally belonged to my great grandmother who was the one that let my mom play with it in the dirt. I just didn't want to let this go. This piece kind of hit me in the gut and the more I thought about it the more priceless it became to me.

I thought about one day being able to give it to my daughter. She would be the 5th woman in our family to own it. There are very few things that have stayed with our family that long.

I called my dad this morning and ask him not to sell this piece. He laughed and said it's yours whenever you want it. I don't think I have ever felt so much relief. I am still going to try and get a picture of the bottom hallmark in the next day or so.

Just wanted to share. :)

6. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Kasper, so sorry for the loss of your Mom, yes way too early to lose her. :( Yes keeping a few mementoes of hers and passing down to your daughter is a great idea. My Mom lost her Mom when she was 20 and she is almost 87 and still gets teary eyed on her Mom's Bday.

7. Kasperscuriosities

So I was back at my dad's house but I forgot my good camera. I used my phone to try and get a better image of the bottom of this coffee service. I edited one pictures contrast and brightness to try and make it easier to see. I can't make it out. That is for sure a 30 but I don't know where my dad was seeing a lion. What might the 30 stand for? Anyways just wanted to update. Sorry about the pictures it was my cell phone. I wish I would have remembered my camera. 10959382_834572779932561_3815665148500572441_n.jpg 10978617_834572793265893_7749581637819685018_n.jpg

8. Kasperscuriosities

I finally have this piece in my possession. I am so proud of it. I am displaying it on my Mom's old piano. I live in a really small space so there isn't a lot of room for things like this I am kind of in a heap already with stuff on every shelf and half of it isn't even mine.... :facepalm: Anyways, (got off subject for a minuet, sorry.) I got a good look at this mark. I am going to try and get a better image of it here in a second if I do I will post it.

I know what it is though.

I can see it perfectly with a jewelers glass. It is two fish swimming in opposite directions. one on top and one on bottom. The top one is swimming to the left the bottom to the right. They are very detailed fish for how small they are. I will see if I can get a clear picture.

It has two screens on the inside and the spring for the handle is kind of cool. It is like wrapped metal. My husband called it a leaf spring. I will try to get some good pictures of these too.

Kraantjeskan has been the best search term I have found to look for this. Thank you for this info I have had to come back and find this thread several times just to copy & paste that word. LOL! ;)

9. Kasperscuriosities

http://www.oldcopper.org/german_copper.htm

^^^^^

That's the mark about halfway down the page. I am almost positive. Here is what it says:

F & R Fischer,
    Göppingen, between Stuttgart and Ulm in Baden-Württemberg, Germany. Göppingen is on the River Fils and just downstream of Geislingen, home of WMF. It was founded in 1874 by Fritz and Robert Fischer. Most of the firm closed during the financial crisis of 1934 but some products were still being made until 1966. They produced well designed art metal hollowware and dishes bearing the distinctive twin fish mark. This one under a spirit kettle.

KingofThings and 42Skeezix like this.
  10. Kasperscuriosities

KingofThings and 42Skeezix like this.
  11. Kasperscuriosities

12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Very good work, Robin! It's lovely piece.

Thanks for the update!

13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very nice -- I had almost forgotten about this thread. Good work!

14. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Yes, thanks indeed. It's ALWAYS appreciated when a follow up is posted especially after a bit of time has passed.

15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Indeed- thank you Robin!

Draft saved Draft deleted