Featured Please help me identify what this is, age and who made it?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by janmar, Sep 5, 2016.

1. janmar

janmar Member

Wait I'm not sure may have looked at the wrong info. Anyone know please let me know thanks. Lol

2. janmar

janmar Member

Maybe it's 14k solid gold. I will get the better photos tomorrow so that will help. I found this chart.
    Gold Markings and Their Significance
    The Marking
    What It Means
    333 8K Gold
    375 9K Gold
    416 or 417 10K Gold
    500 12K Gold
    583 or 585 14K Gold
    750 18K Gold
    916 or 917 22K Gold
    999 24K Gold

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

18K gold is marked "750". 3258 looks like a repair envelope number.

janmar likes this.
  4. janmar

janmar Member

Thanks I'll get better photos of the numbers tomorrow that will hopefully clarify what's truly marked there. Not sure if 3258 is what's there its hard to see in the indoor lighting.

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Gold markings would not be scratched into the metal. It would have been stamped.
    Scratched numbers use to be done by jewelers when they did repair work. At least on watches. I have never seen it done on jewelry.

6. janmar

janmar Member

Ok thanks for the insight.

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've seen scratched numbers after someone has done a gold or silver test, but they were always the standard as it were.

8. janmar

janmar Member

I was just reading about the purity mark and they become mandatory in 1906 in some countries, so just say this is solid gold, would this make it older than 1906 I wonder??

9. janmar

janmar Member

Ok so you have seen scratch numbers before on jewelry thank you. I looked again this morning and it looked like the 3258 on the top was scratched out and 3258 was scratched at the bottom of the of the pendant like they made a mistake. Then where there is a 95 it has a corresponding 95 where the 2 pieces meet.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The 3258 won't be a gold content indicator, but as others have said, more likely a repair or jewellers mark. The 95 is probably becuase the pieces were made in two halves separately so the numers allowed matching.

janmar likes this.
  11. janmar

janmar Member

Thank you, that makes sense. The number mystery solved :)

12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Quite possibly. As I stated earlier not all antique jewelry was marked for gold content.

And the value of a good antique piece of jewelry is not in the weight of the gold, but quality of work.

janmar and Calico like this.
  13. janmar

janmar Member

Thanks. Do you think in your opinion will the 2 poorly done fix attempts affect the value greatly or would someone consider that minor and love it as is? Just wondering :)

14. janmar

janmar Member

I found a place that will let me bring it in and look at it. I'm taking it on Monday afternoon.

15. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thanks. Do you think in your opinion will the 2 poorly done fix attempts affect the value greatly or would someone consider that minor and love it as is? Just wondering

I think it depends on a few things. If this winds up being quite high end, I think a buyer might have the repair re-done.

One thing I wanted to mention, you said you were taking this in to someone. Not sure what the arrangement is, but don't be shocked if they don't know what this is. In a perfect world an appraiser would be able to tell you exactly, but jewelers, even antique jewelry sellers, don't know everything, and some pieces are just hard to ID. We have a number of folks here on this site that sell antique jewelry for a living, and we all like what we see and are intrigued with this piece, but no one here can give it a positive ID of age or maker, even with the prominent initials. It might be one of a kind, or one of just a few, and is a harder identification.

If the person you bring it to can determine what the gems stones are, that would be a starting point.

I have a story to share. I have been buying/selling vintage costume jewelry for over 30 years, but am not as much of an expert in older fine jewelry. 14 years ago I brought several higher end pieces for appraisal for someone, (and paid well for the appraisal). I was shocked when it came back, the appraiser could tell me nothing about age, just sort of fudged an answer, which years later I realized was incorrect. This was at the top jewelry store in town and they sell estate jewelry as well as modern. I learned about the stones and the gold purity, that was it. If you get lucky you have found a total expert maybe you'll get some real info, but go in with the understanding they might not know exactly what this is either.

I know this was mentioned, but if they offer to buy it, don't sell it on the spot. You can always ask what they would offer, but then say something like, "You'll think about it and get back to them."

Best of luck.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    janmar and komokwa like this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Yes, the stones will tell part of the story....maybe even the history, but it's the enamel that may hold the key to it's origin.
    I say ...may....because I'm just not used to seeing it done in such a way...
    I'm hoping the artist marks will yield some information.

janmar likes this.
  17. janmar

janmar Member

I absolutely love what you said! Thank you for sharing your story with me and taking the time. I'm blown away with the wonderful people on the site. Thanks again, I will share what info if any that I'm given on Monday. :)

komokwa likes this.
  18. janmar

janmar Member

Thank you for all of your help and time you have given to helping me with this piece. I know you dont have to but I'm so glad that you did :) I will surely keep you posted on anything I find out.

komokwa and yourturntoloveit like this.
  19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Thank you !!...for showing us this little gem !!!

janmar likes this.
  20. janmar

janmar Member

It's my pleasure :)

Draft saved Draft deleted