Featured Please id & date two high wooden sculptures

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Gianluca72, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The spoon could be a club or other weapon.

2. Gianluca72

Gianluca72 Well-Known Member

this is not right, it's not the auction house to deceive me, but 4 bidders in the hall

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

I DO think they are interesting, but I would never have bid on them unless I knew exactly what they were worth. You need to do homework now, since it appears you are stuck with them.

Is it a reputable auction house? Is there any chance the other bidders were shills? Go speak to their appraiser or bring them to an expert.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Seriously, you're going to blame the other bidders? I'm not an auction/bidding expert, but I know you need to set your price before you start raising your hand. If you are the type of person to get swept up in a wave of frantic bidding, you probably should stay home.

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Gianluca72

thanks for your generous tips, but usually, making an average of my income and expenses, at the end of the month i have my gain, so better i dont stay home, i guess. Btw if u need some advice about ancient coins, just ask, i'll be happy to help you .

6. Gianluca72

It's a very reputable auction house, yes.
    No, I dont think they are playing poker with me.
    If i did not bid unless i knew exactly what they were, i'll not get them ontime.
    I will carry to an expert ok, thanks for your time.
    Btw i join this forum because i like to learn from THESE experts too .

7. Any Jewelry

And we're very happy to help, but we are not official experts, just people with a passion for art and antiques.

8. Gianluca72

That a lot of times overcross "official" experts :)

9. Any Jewelry

:happy:
    We have the love for the subject, which leads to a collector's expertise. Which in turn can be more extensive and in-depth than an expert's expertise. Not always, of course.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how a reputable auction house could describe those as "tribal." They're clearly Medieval-inspired.

Debora

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Sometimes "junk junkies" will have picked up obscure, random bits of information that experts miss. These to me do not look truly old, but they weren't made last week either.

12. Gianluca72

BTW... my 2 main questions are still unanswered :

what could be the origin?)(nation) or at least the continent ..
    why were they transported by a French company? Imported elements?

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  13. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I can't add anything about the wood; they are not any type of "tribal" that I am familiar with, but do appear to be Medieval-inspired.

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The country of origin is stated as "Made in France" and, given that, makes sense that export company was French.

Debora

15. Gianluca72

Thank you all for your answer but I do not know I'm not entirely convinced because this label is almost dangling practically enough A nothing to detach it and may be that it is stuck in the warehouse from another object because taking it off, as I did a little while ago the sign of the adhesive rectangle does not appear, which should make the wood look cleaner. so I suspect that it had been intentionally attacked by the auctioneers or unknowingly by contact with other objects in the warehouse depot. later I will send you the photos of that area and you will see that the wood underneath has the same condition of old age of all the rest and that there is no trace of the underlying adhesive nor even rectangular norm

16. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Can you show a photo of what is in the woman figure’s hands?

17. Gianluca72

Later i will :) thanks

18. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Important in this case may have been a neutral word (important is subjective so never untrue) and suggesting large (as wood carvings go these are pretty big). You can’t assume other bidders know what they are doing or can discern age or even that they are bidding based on value. Maybe they’re just looking for something decorative to hang on their wall and these are the right size. Or they grew up with something similar as kids and willing to pay whatever it takes. Buyers are often irrational. And shill bidders are a real problem - I’ve seen them at live auctions and on eBay too - some eBay sellers specialize in shill bidders.

19. Gianluca72

@Jeff Drum i appreciate your reply, and i take your point with me :)

Ahhh, i have interesting updates:

first of all, as I told you, under the label, which was held badly, almost without any adhesive, there is no trace of "new". I just had to touch it to remove it.
    in practice the wood is old and does not appear "the trace" of the rectangle of the label, and this confirms that it has been affixed very recently, hence my reasoning that it probably belongs to another object in the warehouse depot.
    If this was done intentionally or unintentionally, I can not say it obviously.
    Look at the pictures, please.
    Also, on the label there is written 0800 and this makes me think of silver, and here we do not have silver, but wood.
    Of course, it could also be an internal code of the "Atlantic Transport Line", but this came to my mind and I thought I'd let you know.
    Even because, if i come to think of it, both labels posted by @Debora, refer to paintings, and not to sculptures.
    And some painted panels, or the related frames, can be associated to 0800 silver....Then I also discovered that on the front of "her" a "circle" is engraved, as in the photo.
    Then I discovered that on the top of the sculpture, there is certainly a written, worn and difficult to read, one with large characters, and then another, much smaller.
    I took some pictures about it.
    Then, @i need help I also took pictures of the "spoon" as per your request .... :) (maybe it's a musical instrument?)
    Thanks, it's always a pleasure for me to talk with you all

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    scoutshouse likes this.
  20. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Your photos at the top of this thread were degraded by the use of a light and reflective background. They cause the object to appear too dark to see detail. If they are auction house photos, not your fault, if you took those photos you wasted much time and wasted billions of digits. I usually use brown cardboard from a flattened or disassembled corrugated carton as it is somewhat of a desirable dull, neutral background. Please post more professional photos on objects you wish to have analyzed, your photos are a “turnoff” in some ways.

As for your wooden objects, the steel hanging rings were applied at time of manufacture, and an experienced antiques appraiser will be able to give you a range of years in the 20th. C. when that type of hanger was in use, perhaps when they were first made.

My guess on probable timeframes of manufacture of those statues is 1960-1990.

Three of the other bidders in the house were likely in collusion as shills, multiple shills are much more convincing than only one.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    scoutshouse, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted