Featured Please id & date two high wooden sculptures

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Gianluca72, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Gianluca72

Gianluca72 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your answer However if you take a look at all my threads of the past you will notice that the backgrounds that I have always used are white and that often I receive compliments related to the good quality of my photos but unfortunately these objects are huge dimensions and therefore I did not have a sufficient white background; and as for the Brown background, It does not seem a good idea to insert a Brown background to take pictures of a Brown object ... usually a neutral background should differ from the hue and color of the object to be photographed, so an object of wood color your suggestion to insert a neutral background Brown It does not seem very valid .... If ever I misunderstood your words please excuse me in advance.... .as regards instead the speech that you make of the hook, .... it is not so true that the hook has been inserted in the same period in which the object was created This is your supposition, but it may well be that the hook was inserted after the creation of the object; the object has its old age and then with the passing of the years The collector, the old owner of the object, may have decided, in the twentieth century, to insert a hook to hang it on the wall ... so I honestly do not understand your reasoning the moment you take it for granted that since the hook is from the twentieth century Then also the object was made in the twentieth century ... it does not seem to me to be solid evidence. In any case I respect your point of view and I thank you for your time and your interest. If you then also want to find the time to answer the last questions I put in which I speak of updates I speak of labels I speak of incisions on the front I speak of a written to decipher I will be very pleased to know your point of view. about these gentlemen who would then be collused to raise the bidding. . These things happen on eBay.. do not happen in a respectable auction house where there is a auctioneer with a hammer where there is people in a suit and tie. .. I think it's almost impossible that there may be people collused with the auctioneer or with the auction house enough to raise the offer. I believe that you all know Babuino auction house in Rome, one of the most respectable and professional that exist throughout the nation.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    scoutshouse and cxgirl like this.
  2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

“If you then also want to find the time to answer the last questions I put in which I speak of updates I speak of labels I speak of incisions on the front I speak of a written to decipher I will be very pleased to know your point of view.”

I spent no time on labels and incisions as they aren’t nearly as important as more basic aspects of the objects such as the hangers and overall appearance. I agree with others here who have suggested that you visit skilled, experienced appraisers. There is one man, John Buxton, who visits here occasionally. He is the best appraiser I know of, regarding tribal items from most any country. I think he could assess these accurately in a few seconds, the breadth of his knowledge is incredible. You could probably contact him via previous posts as he’s a member here.

One aspect of these that I’m not sure has received comment is that these were obviously made to hang on a flat wall in a modern structure. If these were really tribal statues of some kind, they wouldn’t be flat and unfinished on the backs, they’d be “lifelike” all around. I know you’d like to believe these are old but what seems to be going on is that you’ve made that decision at the time you bid, and now you are trying too hard to fit everything you see on them into the “authentic” category, and ignoring basic evidence like the flat, unfinished backs.

3. Gianluca72

I understand your words, but here it is not a flat panel with a front high relief, this is half a tree trunk, its depth is 17 cm, if it had been carved also on the back we would have a cylindrical sculpture around cm 34 ...
    From what I find on the web, the sculptures with flat back are already in the nineteenth century, then, the hook, is another matter.

Thanks a lot for your info These Are really interesting Ok I will and if he will have Time to answer I will be Glad To update you then

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I had meant the other figure, please. Something small in her hands?

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Gianluca72

ahhhh ok give me 5 min and i ll send them

6. i need help

F560C89E-A6D0-49AC-AFA8-117C3FFC63CB.jpeg Anyway, my only other thought (which is probably wrong) is could they be Hindu figures?

7. Gianluca72

Two other considerations that I would like to bring to your attention:

What are the two big holes on the backs of both sculptures for?
    To hang it.
    Ok so what's the hook for?
    To me it seems quite evident that the sculptures were made to be hung through those holes on the back, and subsequently, to fix them better to the wall (perhaps before they fell) hooks were placed.
    In confirmation of what I say, look at the taller and finer sculpture: the back is covered with a white patina, I do not know if it is glue or paper, but anyway, go see the hook on the back; as you can see, the white patina goes under the hook, the hook is on it, so it is obvious that the hook was put later.

8. Gianluca72

9. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

I won't be much help here but I find these intriguing. They make me think of totem poles or some form of naieve carving for burial / tombstone / memorial purposes as Any Jewellery mentioned.

10. springfld.arsenal

Now the white paint has morphed into white patina? Gian, you’re in the wrong business! You’ve got the technique of a skillful used car salesman.

11. Gianluca72

I don't understand your phrase, maybe you didn't understand my past phrase too, I just said that "the back is covered with a white patina, I do not know if it is glue or paper, but anyway, go see the hook on the back; as you can see, the white patinagoes under the hook, the hook is on it, so it is obvious that the hook was put later.". I don't know if it's clear, sorry for my English.
    But I'm noticing that You have a great ability to make humorous jokes and make people smile even higher than you can help, so I wondered if it was possible to make a company you and me, together, I sell used cars and you do the comedian, it could be a good business to sell used cars together

12. Gianluca72

Yesss thanks, you helped me with few words more than some other with many words. :happy:

scoutshouse likes this.
  13. i need help

098C04CB-5BE0-449E-B8F7-A2BF75A95BEC.jpeg 32F65293-F42E-4357-B46C-0C6892451240.jpeg Maybe my theory is way off, but maybe the object is this flower.?

scoutshouse, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

No.:(
    No fishtail though, and a fish would be very slippery to hold like that.
    A domed box or casket maybe? Not a flower, the position of the hands is wrong.
    And to avoid confusion, no they are not Balinese.:)

15. Any Jewelry

Just a thought, have you looked at folk woodcarving from Romania?
    I am not saying it is Romanian per se, but they have a lot of that rustic, naive carving in dark wood.

16. Gianluca72

Maybe something associated to a Shaka Tiki Totem?

scoutshouse, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

As they were made in France, likely reproductions of (i.e. crude copy) or inspired by (i.e. fantasy piece) French Medieval carvings. And, to state the obvious, typically the older something is the more finely made it is. Which leads one to this interesting carving ... Not 16th century but 1580. Wonder what type of expertise it took to date it with confidence so precisely?

https://www.rubylane.com/item/1384268-0295/Important-French-Medieval-c1580-Large-Carved

Debora

scoutshouse likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

No, nothing Polynesian, or even Pacific.
    Gianluca thinks the label came from something else and got stuck on the back of one of the posts. If so, we don't know where the carvings came from. But my vote is for somewhere in Continental Europe.

19. springfld.arsenal

20. Gianluca72

Draft saved Draft deleted