Featured Please id & date two high wooden sculptures

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Gianluca72, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean about the Shiva being similar, but maybe your link isn't correct? Anyway INH suggested earlier it could be Indian, and although it doesn't look to be made in India to me, I don't know why else she would have a Bindi on her forehead? So maybe made in India, in Medieval-inspired style, imported for sale in Western Europe? And agree with Debora that the link she gave on rubylane is the product of wishful thinking by the seller.

2. Gianluca72

Gianluca72 Well-Known Member

Yes link was not ok, I send directly the image
    [​IMG]

I was thinking something like this Shiva, because I noticed the similar object in the hands, similar costume, and something a bit similar in the position, but surely I'm wrong

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

You may not be wrong.....but if you are right......then your carving is so crudely done that I would cut off the heads...which are nice...& use the rest for firewood.

NewEngland likes this.
  4. Gianluca72

? Why? In every art there is style, even when rude or primitive.... if you look some African wooden sculptures you could not appreciate them, but there is a great art there too

5. komokwa

I find your carvings to be pedestrian , with just enough knife work to made out a design.....except for the faces , which have a gentle soul to them.

Christmasjoy, Jivvy and NewEngland like this.
  6. komokwa

This African carving is great art...valued at 10's of thousands of dollars....
    I can see that...

kubacup$$.jpg

Christmasjoy, NewEngland and judy like this.
  7. Gianluca72

I'm sorry I'm absolutely not agree with you this time. it can happen :happy:

8. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Gianluca, it seems you had your mind made up about the carvings before you even posted, you are not open to ANY opinions if they don't coincide with yours. Why did you come here?? The folks here are are wanting to help collectors with their buys and we all rejoice when an item turns out to be a great buy !! Nobody is here to hurt you in any way .. your mind is made up and you don't wish to hear ANYTHING that doesn't agree with what you feel the items are. I wish you luck with your purchase ... Joy.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Oh dear, Gian, you are really seeing what you want to see. And you want us to agree that you have something Hindu or tribal.
    I see nothing similar to yours, other than that it is a woodcarving.
    The description is wrong, by the way, that is not Shiva but Sarasvati, the Goddess of music and of the vibration that created the universe. The peacock is her mount.
    I don't mind ignorance on Hindu Gods and Goddesses, and there are so many of them it is easy to get confused, but why, oh why, did the person who posted the picture on Alamy miss her obvious breasts?:rolleyes:
    Sarasvati has a vina in her hands, an Indian string instrument which is the symbol of her music:
    [​IMG]
    The resonator on the back is a later development, not always found in Hindu iconography.

I don't see a bindi on her forehead?:
    [​IMG]

Have you researched European folk carving yet? Not as 'exotic' for Westerners, but much more rare, and much more likely.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  10. Gianluca72

Thanks @Any Jewelry , i will try to search next that direction :)

For all the others : thanks you all for your time and answers

11. Gianluca72

@Christmasjoy
    Honestly i do not understand your comment .
    Excuse me, I try to identify these sculptures with you all and someone replies that I can burn in the fireplace all like wood, with the exception of the head, and I do not have the freedom to say that I do not agree, otherwise it means I do not accept opinions of others?
    I am sure that many people who are experts here in the forum think like me about it. Therefore, come on, do not overdo it.
    Thanks for your time.

12. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Hi Gian, me again. Well it has been fun. I can see how the exchanges you have had with various members here weren’t what I’d call “productive.”

I’m hoping you can hook up with some very knowledgeable dealer or appraiser near you , who you can trust to give you accurate information. There were some on the Ebay Italy Antiques forum, which though now closed, you can still find in the Internet Archive, and you can see it was really a fun place, I’d never found anything like it, where they all knew each other (in cyberspace anyway.). I had a very old-looking gun in the form of a dragon, with a brief Italian? inscription on it, and they helped answer some questions about it.

scoutshouse, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  13. Gianluca72

Hello, ok thanks a lot for your info.

judy likes this.
  14. Gianluca72

This morning I phoned the auction house in which I bought these two sculptures, and I asked them for an email contact in which I can request to receive more details about the lots awarded. They gave me the email contact of their auctioneer. I am writing to update you: a little while ago I sent an email about it. I just have to wait for his answer. I will update you when I receive it. Thank you.

Jivvy, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

I'd love to hear it. Hopefully they can disclose the true origin.

16. Gianluca72

Hello they answered me as the following :

Essi sono due altorilievi in legno duro del sud-est asiatico, probabilmente risalenti al ventesimo secolo e sono scolpiti a figure di divinità induiste.

Translating for you with Google translator, the relative text is :

They are two hardwood reliefs of Southeast Asia, probably dating back to the twentieth century and are carved to figures of Hindu deities.

I hope that we can have some more information to Id them.
    Thanks

kyratango, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  17. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I hesitate to weigh in on this thread, but I am going to do it anyway. The posture of Gianluca's carvings seem to be trying to copy traditional forms in Hindu sculpture - specifically the crossed legs, the clinging garments that look like stripes around the legs, and the trailing sashes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    https://www.quora.com/What-did-Indian-women-wear-in-the-7th-to-8th-century

But obviously the wooden sculptures are much more crude. I found one link that may be relevant, for contemporary wooden sculptures produced in India for interior decoration. They are described as "Antique" but then they go on to say that "These Vintage Inspired Wooden Hand-Carved Statues Are Sure To Add That Royale Charm To Your Decor. We Spend So Much Time At Certain Places That It Becomes Imperative That Those Spaces Look Beautiful Too. Crafted With Perfection, This Artefact Is Sure To Add Magic To Any Decor". (My emphasis added.):
    [​IMG]
    https://www.flipkart.com/sanskrite-...corative-showpiece-20-3-cm/p/itmeck4smubqhnh5

Currently out of stock, but who knows what else they have produced.

18. Any Jewelry

Oh, dear, "tribal" home decor made for the Western market. The other bidders were probably interior decorators.
    It bears no relation to Southeast Asian tradition, I hasten to add.:facepalm:

19. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

54CFDF69-94C5-47F0-A8DF-7DF0FB245ACF.jpeg

Maybe the other is “stylized” after this figure. This is unnamed. Agree with all above. The lack of detail makes it difficult to label as a specific diety. Would stick with decor with broad terms when describing. Not a traditional item.

20. komokwa

This Artefact Is Sure To Add Magic To Any Decor"

It would add that classy touch to my cord of wood......

Draft saved Draft deleted