Featured Porcelaine Sculptures

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ilya, Dec 17, 2018.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

If they are as exact as OWB indicates, the flower doesn't match up - though I don't know exactly what "artist" means, anyhoo.

I can see the cypher is more scrolly - but again, a hand incised mark isn't always going to be exact - if it's a close call on the hand incised parian ware marks, same level of uncertainty in my mind.

The index of year marks seems to have suffered a little from reproduction. It's hard to know how literally to read it.

I made an inquiry on Antique Parian from Drove House Antiques. We'll see if they're willing to weigh in :) They're selling reference books, so maybe not?

Amazing piece on Hunter and Rose
    (whose inverted triangle doesn't match the 1857 inscription - should be a diamond)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I love Una and the Lion. This is also Parian, as jewellery:

upload_2018-12-20_21-10-18.png

3. scoutshouse

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The reason I'm iffy on some of these "Minton" marks is because they simply aren't precise enough. Don't forget that they were usually done with metal stamps or wooden blocks, rather than being freehand incised. So, even if the stamps were worn, those marks on the original piece are just too way off. Godden doesn't show them, nor do the other references I've fished through. And Godden especially tends to show all variants. Plus, Minton were as fussy as Wedgwood.

That, as an aside, is not the case with Doulton Lambeth decorator marks which were very often scribed freehand, and that can make them far trickier to decipher.

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  5. scoutshouse

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  6. Maeday

Maeday New Member

I have a piece with this stamp!! Also has the "S" scroll and a stamp with a capital F and the numbers 569

Attached Files:

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted