Pottery lamp shades - Who made them?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by verybrad, Jul 8, 2019.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

What do the bottoms and undersides look like? Are they clear glazed? Did they stand on supports in the kiln? I read Haegar pottery did, but these are so different, I cannot imagine they did.

I used to have a hankering for pottery leaf designs but cannot remember ever seeing this design.

Good find, SIS thanks!

pearlsnblume, judy, sabre123 and 2 others like this.
  4. verybrad

That is the exact same lamp and I am liking that price! It may not matter who made the shades or the lamp.

….. So I decided to take the black shade apart and clean it real good. What I thought was a buff colored interior glaze is actually spray painted a bright white that was filthy from what I assume to be cigarette smoke. Under the paint is the same black glaze seen on the outside but without the gold. At the bottom edge there are some grind spots painted over. There are a few places where I can see the actual clay and it is a pale buff color. No evidence of kiln supports but they could have been ground off.

Based on the color of the light shade in the link above, I think my shade probably needs a good cleaning and will be the same color once cleaned.

komokwa, Figtree3, antidiem and 4 others like this.
  5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I tend to go overboard when researching makers for an item I'm going to list in an effort to give credibility (and hopefully drive up the price). But, it is a proverbial dual-edged sword.

In this case, the design kind of speaks for itself, and I can see an interior designer really wanting this piece for a MCM project, regardless of who made the shades. They are gorgeous.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Someone is going to jump on those no matter whodunnit.

antidiem, verybrad and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. verybrad

Got these cleaned and that yellow shade is actually white …. LOL! The second one found by SIS is probably yellowed a bit as well.

Here is a pic of the bottom edge of the white one. I have circled an area where the clay color can be seen. As you can see, it is almost as white as the glaze.
    shade.JPG
    Consequently, I am leaning toward these being from one of the CA ceramics companies. Colors don't match up with either Stangl or Haeger.

Appreciate the help. Will try and get the brass cleaned up on this within the month and get it listed. Will let you all know when I do so.

Figtree3 and sabre123 like this.
  8. antidiem

agreed :cat:
    agreed :cat:

Good you cleaned the pieces, always good to show what they really look like! ;)

sabre123 and verybrad like this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

What a difference after cleaning! It's amazing what cigarette (or cigar?) smoke can do.

sabre123 and verybrad like this.
  10. verybrad

The owner of the house had lived there since 1965. I imagine the lamp dates to that period or shortly thereafter. When or if they were ever cleaned is up to conjecture. 50+ years is a long time for crud to accumulate.

BTW: Here is the listing for the house with pics taken before furnishings were removed. Lamp can be seen in pic #11 to the right of the piano. Pretty much a time capsule! Built in 1953, it was said to have been built as a student engineering project for the U of I. I think the price has been dropped about 20K since the initial listing.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatea...ew-Dr_Champaign_IL_61820_M86385-54027?view=qv

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Nice house - Sort of a Frank Lloyd Wright look to some of the rooms. But it would require a special buyer to want some of it. Good thing that style is popular right now.

I'll bet the agent will be wondering about the increase in online views of the listing!

janetpjohn likes this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If I lived out that way and was in the market ... dang that's tempting!

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. antidiem

Nice for the price for sure!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted