Featured Prints vs Paintings

Discussion in 'Art' started by Louise88, May 26, 2020.

1. Louise88

Louise88 Well-Known Member

Hi all

Are these the "dots" that are referred to when identifying if a painting is actually a print?

Screenshot_20200526-223049_Facebook.jpg

For reference/context these are the pictures that have been posted for sale. Not my images I don't own them.

Screenshot_20200526-223126_Facebook.jpg

Thank you :)

2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Close up pic, looks more like the texture of a canvas, but most oils or acrylics don’t have glass in front like watercolours or prints do to protect them.

3. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

It almost has to be a canvas that you're looking at and not a photo reproduction. Its easy to see why youre confused because the key when looking for a photo reproduction is that the rosettes (hexagon pattern) are of uniform size. The hexagon pattern here is also uniform, but if we were seeing it in real life we'd notice the texture of the paint immediately and so this sort of problem doesnt occur when studying things up close. But here with just pics. its confusing. In photo reproduction each rosette will hold just one primary color e.g. red. Just like the little pixels you see on your TV screen. They combine these colored dots in ways to produce the other colors.

Google rosettes and photo reproduction and you will probably find some better examples of photo reproduction, with experience it will be easier to spot.

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The dots that appear in halftone prints are not that obvious, usually requiring magnification (or really good eyesight) to be visible. We just had a discussion of this type of photo mechanical print on another thread - https://www.antiquers.com/threads/is-this-a-print-its-always-a-print.50087/#post-2197859 - and @Couch Potato Wannabe included a nice illustration of the effect.

The pattern in the artwork you posted does look like canvas. But I would reserve judgment on whether it is an actual painting. Prints may reproduce the appearance of a painting on canvas. And there is also a technique of printing on textured canvas that is used to imitate paintings. You really need to see the actual paint surface to be sure.

lloyd249, Bronwen, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

This is the bit that has me thinking it's a print:
    zza.jpg

I don't see getting a pattern like that with a brush. I don't think you would get a pattern like that on a painting unless it has been "scrubbed" (grossly over-cleaned).

Is this on canvas? Prints can be made on canvas. Take it out of the frame for a better look. If it's on paper, it's certainly a print.

It's not possible to be sure one way or the other from these photos. Your photos have to be very close and very sharp to tell.

Bronwen and Louise88 like this.
  6. Cris Drugan ISA-AM

Cris Drugan ISA-AM Active Member

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Draft saved Draft deleted