Featured Question About Partial Page in Antique Book

Discussion in 'Books' started by cxgirl, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The text INH found is from this book:
    Cigarette Papers for After-dinner Smoking
    [​IMG]
    Joseph Hatton
    J.B. Lippincott, 1892 - English essays

in this section:
    upload_2018-10-25_1-52-32.png

He says of the Cope's booklets generally:
    upload_2018-10-25_1-54-49.png
    [What he says on the next page that he rolled is cigars, so imagine they would use a different type of paper.]

This passage is comparing the binding of his own book to those of the Cope's booklets:
    upload_2018-10-25_1-58-18.png

The 'fluttering papers' (I assume the tissue used to cover illustrations, as in cxgirl's pic) belong to Hatton's book & it is only in imagination that they can be used as rolling papers.

I have seen a 'stub' like this in other old books but do not know what binding process leads to them. I'm just prepared to say none of them has anything to do with rolling papers.

i need help, cxgirl and Figtree3 like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm sure I don't know much of anything about bookbinding but I did find this in a glossary of terms. I'm wondering if a page was removed (cancel) due to error and then a new page was never tipped in or replaced in your edition.

http://www.ioba.org/pages/resources/book-terminology/

CANCEL Due to errors or defects in printing, a book may have one or more pages removed from the text block by the publisher after it has been bound. The new printed matter pasted on to the resulting stub(s) by the publisher is referred to as a “cancel” or “cancellans”.

TIPPED IN Paper, photograph, or print glued down by only a narrow strip.

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

i need help, cxgirl and Bronwen like this.
  4. Figtree3

Sounds good, but the "fluttering papers" imo seems to be referring to part of the cover designs. (At least that's how I read it.) Since we have only seen one of the covers in the series it is hard for me to know what they are talking about. The protective pages could be what thay are referring to, but those were common in illustrated books and I wonder why they would be mentioned in that way?

5. Figtree3

6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The printing process for a plate such as the portrait on the frontispiece (the page facing the title page) sometimes requires a different type of paper from the rest of the text. In such a case, the plate might be tipped in (pasted in as a separate sheet), or it may be sewn into the binding. If it is sewn in, there is usually a "stub" (an incomplete page) that appears, which is the tail end of the separate plate page.
    It is just an artifact of the binding process.
    Looking at the top edge of the binding, you might be able to follow the "stub" page through the fold, and see if it is a continuation of the frontispiece.

7. Bronwen

This bit of Hatton's book, Cigarette Papers for After-Dinner Smoking, is in praise of the enjoyment of the Cope's booklets/brochures. He rhapsodizes about their covers and he goes back & forth between describing the fine points of his 'publisher's presentation of these...notes...with its design of fluttering papers...' and the ways the Cope's publications are superior.

upload_2018-10-25_9-18-20.png

It is a bit confusing, but with 306 pages, Hatton's book was surely in hard covers. What fluttering papers could it have had other than the upscale feature of illustrations worthy of protective tissue over them, something the promotional Cope's booklets would not have had beyond the frontispiece? I read it as the 'design of fluttering papers' belonging to the 'publisher's presentation', and the 'presentation' as referring to the entire way the book was made, not to the cover only.

i need help and cxgirl like this.
  8. Bronwen

With all the advertising, it is easy to imagine the need to add or remove something late in the process.

I think this is the most likely reason for it.

Is the paper of the portrait of Carlyle different from the rest of the pages &, if so, is the stub the same paper as the portrait?

LIbraryLady, cxgirl and 2manybooks like this.
  9. Figtree3

Oh, I see. I thought the "fluttering papers" referred to the Cope booklets. Now I see that it instead refers to his own publisher's presentation. Thanks!

Just found the cover of Hatton's book, in HathiTrust! The papers were "fluttering" out of a case of some sort in the image. You may need to scroll up to get to the cover image.
    https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.hn5vcp;view=1up;seq=1

Bronwen and cxgirl like this.
  10. Bronwen

Yep, you got it. The 'fluttering papers' are part of the cover design for Hatton's own book. Rolling paper fluttering out of little envelope they came in. OK, think that bit is settled. :happy:

Figtree3 and cxgirl like this.
  11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies folks:)
    thanks 2manybooks:) The stub page is a continuation of the strip on the front page, it has been glued on the front page.
    DSCF8179.jpg

12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies folks:)
    thanks Bronwen:) no, same paper

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Bronwen likes this.
  13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks fig:)
    the link wouldn't work for me, has the message 'limited search due to copyright restrictions'

Bronwen likes this.
  14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol, I agree.

Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  15. Figtree3

Sorry... Maybe it is because you are in Canada?

Bronwen likes this.
  16. Figtree3

Trying to see if I can insert a PDF here... Can you open it, @cxgirl ?

Attached Files:

Bronwen and cxgirl like this.
  17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

it opens...
    after a while

Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thank-you fig, that worked:)

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  19. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

So, it was the method for inserting that particular page of advertisement. There were probably a variety of add insertions depending on when and where the pamphlet was sold.

cxgirl, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  20. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I just sold an atlas that had similar paper sticking out, I assumed it had to do with was how the book was bound. As far as I remember there were more than one like this and they did connect to a map further along in the book...

PegStraffordCountyNHAtlasMp1Sm.jpg

Figtree3, 2manybooks and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted