Quist Silverplate Candle holder any ideas on age?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Mansons2005, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

4.75" tall, 8.75" long, 4" wide at the base
    Might be missing candle cups/bobeche. I have a small glass "liner" that fits the center blossom, but I have no idea if it is original or not. Looks a bit flimsy and is feather-weight, but is really quite solid and substantial.

Quist closed down in 1981, but I am uncertain what the marks were during some changes in ownership. This piece bears the marks as shown on the 925 site (THE DIRECTORY OF CONTINENTAL EUROPEAN SILVER PLATE MAKERS). Judging by style, about how old is this piece? I seem to recall it having been hanging around for YEARS but at my age that could mean since 1970.........

MVC-159S.JPG

moreotherstuff likes this.
  2. Mansons2005

Additional photos:

MVC-160S.JPG

MVC-162S.JPG

MVC-164S.JPG

MVC-165S.JPG

MVC-166S.JPG

MVC-167S.JPG

MVC-168S.JPG

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Manson,
    For what it's worth I am getting a 60s vibe from this piece. I need coffee before I open my mouth. I forget to put my mind in gear before my mouth
    starts it motion.
    greg

Fid likes this.
  4. Mansons2005

Just so you don't think I am a total lazy ar$e - I know that there are "companion" pieces to this listed on eBay currently - but they only describe them as "Nouveau Design", no other age designation. So 1960's they may well be.

5. gregsglass

Manson,
    I NEVER think of you as a lazy arse, ever. People do not know how much work goes into living as long as we have. Getting old is never for sissies or the faint of heart.
    greg

popsycat and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  6. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Being both a sissy and a faint-hearted couch potato, you can expect to hear of my demise any minute now! LOL!

But yes, Greg you are so right!

Mansons - I too am getting a 60's vibe. In fact I am also seeing Bloomindale's silver department. Or, maybe it was B. Altman, may it rest in peace. (sigh)

gregsglass likes this.
  7. gregsglass

Hi Silver,
    I am so angished at the words B. Altman. It was my favorite department store ever. It was there in the 60s where a man in the antique department opened my eyes to antique furniture. I was looking for a dining room buffet and had just left the furniture department. looking at the antiques the gentleman asked if he could help me. I laughed and said I just came from the
    the furniture because i was looking at a buffet. He asked what I was looking at. I answered a Thomasville Hepplewhite for 3 thousand. he chuckled and showed me a 1860s buffet on sale for 1900. He said in 10 yrs the Thomasville would be worth about 400 dollars but the 1860 would be worth about 4 thousand. Why buy new furniture that just becomes old when antiques will increase. He was so right. I bought the 1860 piece used it for 25 years and sold it for 5 thousand. I ended up buying six or seven pieces off him in the following years.
    When the store closed I was in tears but I was lucky enough to buy one of the mercury lamps that sat on the counters.
    greg

moreotherstuff and kyratango like this.
  8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

:( I loved that store too. It had the same flavor as Wanamaker's and Gimbels in Philadelphia. I took my eldest daughter in there one time to buy a present for Daddy's birthday. She was only almost two, but EXTREMELY verbal, and very particular about clothing. She picked out about four to look at, then planted her finger on one, and said it would be satisfactory, thank you. The saleswoman, without cracking more than a professional smile, wrapped it up for her, and handed me the bill. It was the MOST expensive tie I had ever bought! But watching that very considered transaction was worth the price.

gregsglass likes this.
  9. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    20s to 30s, Jugendstil-influenced.
    problem with Quist was that they never really concentrated on one recognizable style and worked for the army (helmets etc.) in both wars, actually already starting to do so in 1935 again, which shows what family it was...
    in later years they really went astray with modern stuff, but also copying their own stuff from the art nouveau and déco period. all in all -with few exceptions - poor man's WMF.

10. Smarnoch

Smarnoch New Member

I disagree with most who claim it has a ‘60’s vibe. This piece is pre-1930’s for certain!

kyratango likes this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

can you back up that claim with any documents or period photo's....??

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

this mark was in use from 1905 to 1966 acc. the very good book:
    [​IMG]

but I think I agree with fidbald. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

What an odd coincidence that two of Manson2005's VERY old discussion threads in the Silver category were resurrected by two different new members of the forum within 12 hours or so of each other. What are the chances? Just a strange coincidence, I assume. Maybe we should start summoning Mansons here again?

Here is the other thread. I also commented there:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/t100-mark-on-silver-demitasse-saucer.13087/

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    kyratango, judy and Bakersgma like this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Yes, I wonder whatever happened to him? :):):)

judy and Fid like this.
  15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

quistmarks (850x1024).jpg
    lazybones on Sunday... may come in handy if...

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted