Real or Fake Silver?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Shangas, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Not wanting to get stung a second time, I thought I should consult the Powers that Be, before making an offer on them. Are these cufflinks real?

s-l1600.jpg

KSW and judy like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

I especially find the way "Please return" is written very different; the letters on the tag looks like bleed into the bottom surface.
    also "&" looks a bit odd.
    Screenshot 2020-10-16 190559.png

4. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Not directly related to the ones you're asking about, but I have seen at least one person selling what I assume are reproduction Tiffany cufflinks, and the images they use in their EBay listing are lifted directly off the Tiffany website.

It's hard to come up with definitive ways to tell fakes, as they change over time and some can be close. I thought this website had some interesting information.
    https://www.madison880.com/pages/guide-to-buying-tiffany-co-real-and-fake-pouches

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  5. Shangas

I mean, the Ys on the eBay links line up this time, so...? *shrug*

antidiem likes this.
  6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

They are real cuff links,but look at how the post is soldered to the "back plate".

7. antidiem

Shangas, I'm having the same problem to SEE your photos without the lettering from the blue leather case interfering. A few more photos couldn't hurt, plus I cannot see the solder job on this set very well.

Hard to imagine the blue leather case on the last one wasn't original Tiffy.

8. antidiem

Thanks for the link, smallaxe, I cannot see Shangas's case well enough either.

"I believe the same place in Germany that makes the 'real' makes the fakes" TERRY SAID THIS ON THE LAST THREAD, and actually this would not surprise me at all.

I don't know why Tiffany brand is so popular, seems way overpriced to me.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Shangas

Yes, I spotted that too. It looks rather...crude. That's one reason why I was hesitant.

antidiem likes this.
  10. Shangas

Just about everything is overpriced, when you think about it. The value of the silver alone is nothing. What you're mostly paying for is the manufacturing and designs, etc...

11. antidiem

Oh yes, I realize this, just that Tiffy's is so WAYYY OVERPRICED! hah!

12. Shangas

If you paid just the silver-weight price, for every piece of silverware that you ever owned, it would cost almost nothing.

13. BU66

BU66 Active Member

Why does it say "please return to Tiffany & Co."
    Leads me to believe they were "not for sale" so to speak?"
    Perhaps made for someone at the company or employees of the company, white collar workers?

14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Tiffany used to use the return to Tiffs to return lost or stolen items to their owners. However that stopped years ago when they stopped keeping addresses of customers.
    When I got my Tiff account in the 1960s. I used to receive a hand written bill. I remember once being in Tiffs and a really rich woman from Texas overheard me saying to the clerk "Put this on my account please. The woman went nuts saying she wanted an account. The clerk softly spoke to her saying you do not demand or ask for an account. If Tiff wants you to have an account they will contact you. I just smiled at the woman and walked away. Letting her to try and figure out who I was.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

Draft saved Draft deleted