Rookwood Pottery Marks, Initials, need help !

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jrfinds, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Jrfinds

Jrfinds Member

Hi i need help with a Question on Rookwood pottery. Did Rookwood artist ever initial there vases , on the side of vases ? Also where can i find more about initial vase , what books or website that show pictures ? Any help will do Thank you !

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Jrfinds! A quick google search for Rockwood Pottery Marks brings up a variety of sites showing examples of both bottom marks and artist ciphers for Rookwood pottery. But the matter of artist ciphers appearing on the side versus the bottom is puzzling. How about posting a picture of what you have so we can help.

4. crowleys

crowleys Well-Known Member

According to Herbert Peck in The Book of Rookwood Pottery, the artist's mark sometimes appears on a piece "when a signed original design was used in making the mold and the artist's mark was thus transferred to the mold and duplicated on subsequent pieces." This occurs infrequently. Occasionally early artists signed pieces with their full signature and some pieces had an ink under glaze cipher or signature. So...I second Bakersgma, pictures of the piece would be helpful.

Jrfinds, Figtree3, judy and 4 others like this.
  5. Jrfinds

Jrfinds Member

judy likes this.
  6. Jrfinds

Jrfinds Member

Sorry for so long to answer but i started to look at it again RookWood or Not ? hear you can see the initials, I think it a Japanese artist ? at the bottom it hard to see , it look like Rookwood number and 1887 and some other letters hard to see i know this Vase is old . All so from what i read these are the colors being use in 1900. ink.png
    home-design.jpg

7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Why would you even think this is Rookwood? Show the bottom, please.

aaroncab likes this.
  8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Is this what you're thinking is a Rookwood mark and number? I see something "B".

upload_2020-8-13_13-57-28.png

9. janetpjohn

Are we really still waiting for a bottom picture since 2018?

bercrystal, aaroncab and wiscbirddog like this.
  10. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Yes, yes we are. :D:D:D:D:D

Took almost 2 years just to get to see the vase. Check back late summer of 2022 and maybe we'll see the bottom too!?!

bercrystal, aaroncab and Bakersgma like this.
  11. crowleys

crowleys Well-Known Member

12. janetpjohn

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks like relatively modern studio pottery to me.

14. Jrfinds

Jrfinds Member

I been looking around here there , I know it hard to read the base, but i try making shadows, and if you looked in the one
    shadow you can see a date of 1882 I believe and some numbers or letters also what looks like Rookwood pottery, but real hard to read. The booklet have a Rookwood mark from 1882 that look like what i seeing on base, I was told that back then artist would paint there initials under the glaze at base. Also if you look at his initial they look similar to a signing name. Here are a few vases that have the shape almost like this one . Thank you for your help,

Attached Files:

15. Jrfinds

Jrfinds Member

Here the Base to Vase

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted