Satsuma cup and saucer signature i.d.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Nicenblue, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Nicenblue

Nicenblue New Member

Can anyone translate the signature on this Satsuma cup and saucer? I searched the Gotheborg site and saw a Dai Nippon sig that I thought was close but not sure.
    Teacup sig.jpg SAM_1541-1.jpg

Pat P likes this.
  2. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

It doesn't really have the yellowish tinge that I would expect from Satsuma, but I've been known to be wrong before. :)

Which number are you looking at on the japan page on gotheborg?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  3. tie.dye.cat

This bottom mark (highlighted in orange) is "made" as in "made by" so and so, if that helps. I do see some similar marks on the satsuma page under Koshida, but only the bottom two characters. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along.

I love looking for Japanese marks but am at a complete disadvantage since I can't read the writing! LOL.

Teacup sig.jpg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. Nicenblue

Nicenblue New Member

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  5. tie.dye.cat

Very pretty vase! I would never have pegged that as satsuma either, so just goes to show how little I know.

Looking at marks can make your eyes go crossed indeed. Especially since the marks are hand-written and can have subtle differences based on the writing style of the person signing. Though if you know the language, it's probably much easier to look beyond those differences when trying to figure out the mark.

6. Nicenblue

Nicenblue New Member

My niece can read and write some Japanese and tried teaching me years ago, but I gave up on it. She's away until next week and hopefully she'll be able to help me with it when she gets back if no one else chimes in before then.

yourturntoloveit and tie.dye.cat like this.
  7. tie.dye.cat

Oh, that's great! Hmm, do you think she'd like an adopted aunt? LOL.

Nicenblue likes this.
  8. Nicenblue

Nicenblue New Member

Unfortunately my niece wasn't able to make out a name from the characters in the sig, so hoping someone else might know what it is.

9. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Hi, your cup is signed "Yasuda Zo", "Made by Yasuda". The style is that of Awata ware (Awata-yaki), but the earthenware is the same that was used for Satsuma style decoration. It dates to the Meiji period. Many of the makers in Kyoto did decorate their wares in both styles. Your vase in the other post is indeed in the same style, but it is not necessarily by Kinkozan. Personally I like these Awata-yaki pieces very much!
    Mat

cxgirl and tie.dye.cat like this.
  10. Nicenblue

Nicenblue New Member

Hi Mat. Thank you so much for such great information on both items. Really appreciate it. Off to research some more now with your help.

Draft saved Draft deleted