Featured Share your antique photographs here

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by terry5732, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Those are lovely, Bob.

KingofThings likes this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

He was listed in the 1880 census as a harnessmaker

He did the farming thing for a while

The left half of this shop is shoe repair

Great grandpa in the Nekoosa mill circa 1920s
    0307 photos0005.JPG
    He's the one who looks just like cousin Ron

Funny that the guy in the back left looks just like my mom's brother did in the sixties

3. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Thank you, Greg. Still seems odd for really no nothing postcards to travel a 1/3rd of the way around the world to be printed. I doubt if even 25 of them were printed.

--- Susan

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Dax

Dax Indigo Guy.

Looks like a Maltese cross.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    While browsing through my stacks of photos. i found this one which is almost an antique. It is me with my first cat his name was Rubarb.:shy:
    greg 002dddddd.jpg

Born2it, silverthwait, Taupou and 7 others like this.
  6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I've seen this before and these ladies are in NJ I think.

gregsglass likes this.
  7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Th last one is especially beautiful! Thanks!!! :)

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

So, sort of a "Finds" thread for photos? Cool!

Terry mentioned this thread is not for asking questions, yet some people are... not a problem, except that I find it hard to follow with all of the intervening comments and pics of other photos that are coming in.

Just a suggestion for anybody who actually has a question about their photo... Would you consider making a separate thread for it in this "Ephemera and Photographs" forum? There's a whole forum here...It's unlikely that I (for one) am going to take the time to scrutinize this particular thread looking for questions I can help with, and also checking to see whether anybody has already provided answers or clues.

I will look at the pretty pictures, though.

9. Ladybranch

Here are pictures dating 1860-1870s. They were all taken at their respective homes by probably an itinerant photograph - a traveling man. :hilarious: The girls are a few of my grandmother's 1st cousins - their father's were brothers. These particular cousins were all older than her. Interesting to see their clothing and the lack of props.

1. CDV c1865. This girl was born in 1863 and died in 1869. I suspect this pic might be a copy of a tintype that her parents had copied after her death.

CDVCHISMBelle.jpg

2. Tintype c1875. This girl was a sister of the the previous one, #1. She was born in 1867.

TintypeCHISMAbigailDella.jpg

3. Tintype 1873. This is one of my favorite pics. This girl (1871-1968) was a dear cousin of my grandmother; a college graduate; school teacher, librarian, and author of several genealogy related books; loaned my mother money for college tuition during the depression; spent a couple weeks at our home during the summers when I was young; and lived to the age of 97.

TintypeCHISMEmilyFtmed.jpg

4. CDV c1875. These 2 girls, sisters, are siting on the ground by the side of their house. The one on our left is the same as the one previous, #3. Note her dress or at least parts of it like the jacket and bodice look the same in both pictures. Both were dear cousins of my grandmother. My grandmother and grandfather were married in the home of the oldest girl, on the right, in Norwich, CT 1908.

CDVCHISMEmilyAnnaFt.jpg

10. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Real photo postcard. Hand tinted. R&Co. Circa 1910.
    0408 beach.jpg

11. Figtree3

Ladybranch, I love that you have so many photos of relatives from that era.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. Ladybranch

Helps being the only great granddaughter! The males usually get the money and land while the females get the possessions (furniture, photos...). As to the pics of the above girls, my great grandfather was the youngest of 5 boys. His brothers all fought in the Civil War. He was too young, 14-18. When he got old enough to go, his brothers said he had to stay home and take care of the parents. Anyways, when he reached the age to go, the war was over in just a few months.

Following is a picture of the father of the girls in the last photo #4. Their father (1837-1936) was the oldest of the brothers. He served in Co. H, 16th Regiment Connecticut Volunteers, Army of the Potomac, from 1862 when the regiment formed in Hartford to 1865 when the regiment was mustered. This regiment was in the front line at the Battle of Antietam losing nearly 1/3 killed and wounded only 1 week after the regiment was formed in Hartford, CT. They were literally thrown into battle after they signed up with no basic training!!! They later served in many skirmishes in VA and at Plymouth, NC where over 300 were taken prisoner resulting in 200 of them dying at Andersonville. GG Uncle Charlie was never wounded or captured, but contracted malaria that he suffered with for the rest of his life. Note, he died at the age of 99, and as I said in my previous message his youngest daughter lived to the age of 97. I have had the CDV of him for years, but about 20 years ago I inherited a photo albumen of my great aunt that had a tintype of the same pic of my great great Uncle Charlie.

--- Susan

CDVCHISMCharlesCW.jpg

TintypeCHISMCharlesCWAlbum.jpg TintypeCHISMCharlesCW.jpg

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I have posted this before in the old ebay group so some of you have probably seen this. This is my grandfather c. 1905 standing in front of his home with one of the family medicine company delivery wagons. My sister believes that his father is standing in the background. I think it is just as likely that it is the regular delivery driver and his father is the photographer. medicinewagon.jpg

14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Here is my grandfather taken a few years earlier, showing before and after haircut in staged poses.

grandpa5.jpg

grandpa4.jpg

15. Bakersgma

Cute kid, Brad! He should have been a model. ;)

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  16. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Here is one, a gift from a poster from here. Does she look like Agnes Tolner from
    "Selfridges"?
    greg 001.jpg

17. Bakersgma

Agnes has more hair. ;)

KingofThings likes this.
  18. Figtree3

I don't think I've posted this one in either this forum or the old eBay one ... but have posted it on Facebook. Two young women, at least one of whom possibly was Native American. Cabinet card photo taken in West Bend, Wisconsin.

Butterfly dresses 2 (521x800).jpg

And the back:

Butterfly dresses2 (526x800).jpg

19. Bakersgma

20. Bakersgma

Nice! Do you think those are butterflies or moths on their skirts?

KingofThings and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted