Featured Share your antique photographs here

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by terry5732, Apr 8, 2015.

1. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

2. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Wonder if any relation. Not sure when Tom's mom was born, but Tom was born in 1858 and his wife in 1862. They were married Oct. 18, 1880.

Their first child - Aurora, was born two years later. A son, Cleophus, Dec. 1883. He didn't make it for long, passing away seven months later. Another son, Leo, was born two days before Christmas of 1886. Then a daughter, Irene July of 1899.
    ~
    EmmaOraLeo.jpg

~ MaTante.jpg
    Aurora's Confirmation

3. TheOLdGuy

Something got tied up above. Whole post froze and I couldn't add or delete anything. Had to post and then edit to delete 5 repeats of that last pic.

Here's one of Irene's First Communion.
    I have one of Leo as grown man somewhere. I'll find it.

~
    IreneFirstCommunion.jpg

~and one of Tom's Mother-in-law. TomsMotherInLaw.jpg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Mom is pretty!
    What an awful picture that earlier one was.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. TheOLdGuy

Gila - I'm guessing he was looking for an improvement in his Gene pool.The Mom you call pretty is Emma's - his wife's. TOM's mom is the one related to Joe Gatto. :sour:

Somehow he himself improved. (Or maybe his Mom passed away and he didn't have to expect her to sneak up on him and scare the crap out of him anymore.)

Here's a pic of him with his son about 1909, or maybe 1915. The back of the pic says, in Leo's hand, "Dad and I. Sunday, Oct. 3..........." with the year blurred out. Back is also printed - Post Card.

6. TheOLdGuy

Tom&Leo.jpg Tom and son Leo.

7. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

OHHHHHHHH, I see, OG.
    Is Tom smoking a pipe, right?
    Look at those shiny shoes!!!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  8. TheOLdGuy

Probably had a shoe shine boy around the corner. A nickel is a nickel.

Yes, a pipe. He died of throat cancer at age 79.

9. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Love that high pointy collar dad has. Leo has a more modern one. Whaddya call that high one, if it has a name?

KingofThings likes this.
  10. TheOLdGuy

Gila, you know women's fashions change every 6 months.

Men's change maybe every 3 or 4 years. But if a guy puts his stuff in storage he can take it out in a couple of years and wear it, cuz it will be back in fashion.

Dunno what they call that collar, but I think it went back out - or was it back in - about 6 months ago.

I wonder how many east coast antiquers are staying home instead of the planned trip. Not a really bad storm, but definitely not one you're going to drive into or through. Or even fly over.

11. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

GalleriaGila, I think that type of collar is called a "wing collar." ;)

KingofThings likes this.
  12. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thanks, OG and YourTurn.
    I like that wing collar.

13. TheOLdGuy

OK, I have some other pics I would like to put here. BUT ArcSoft - my favorite for editing pics - is acting up. All six need 45 degree rotation. I'm just trying a few to find if size is OK.

I can offer NO help with these two gentleman. They were found in a storage case where I had put some of my own pics greatly enlarged. Stored for maybe 20 years. How the H*** they got there I have no clue. I don't remember ever seeing them before. Possibly you can prod my memory to recall something.

Each measures 16 x 20 inches. Age unknown, but not "antique." If consensus is they don't belong here these will be the only ones posted. The other 4 are simply close ups and writing on the backs, like inventory or lot numbers. They are on cardboard.

Number one appears to be a "Man of the Cloth." ~
    ~ MVC-762F.JPG

~Thanks again, King.
    No. 2 a bit dapper, but has something around his neck, --- a tie appearing to be made of a quite large scarf. Also what that might be some sort of VERY long and thin necklace.
    ~ MVC-758F.JPG

14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Those look like what are called solar enlargements or crayon portraits (although not done with what we call crayons). They have a photograph base and are heavily drawn over with charcoal or other media. They were popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, so could very well be antique.

15. TheOLdGuy

Thanks, Fig. I'm quite sure they are at least based on photographs, and appear to be printed directly onto cardboard, not an added layer. Intended for portraits over the mantle??? Sixteen inches wide, 24 high.

The top pic., as noted, I believe is a preacher. Sorry that photo is blurry. Maybe due to auto downsizing. He has rimless eyeglasses and the type shirt I've seen on pastors, etc. Small buttons (or snaps) every 1/2 inch.

The second pic made me think early 1900s, hairdo, suit. On closer look, what looks like a "tie" is actually a good size scarf.

Let me know if you and/or anyone else would like the closeups for further scrutiny. I hope they would be better resolution.

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

#1 looks like John Lennon, and yes man of cloth.
    #2 looks like another Baldwin brother. Dapper, yes. Love that little hairline come-back.
    I think they both look 1900-ish.

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

To make things even more interesting (possibly), I actually think the top one looks like it could be a woman instead of a preacher. Appears to be wearing a bar pin (piece of jewelry that was popular for women at the time). The face looks more like a man, but really it's hard to tell. So if possible, would like to see a clearer pic of that one at least!

18. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Oh, wow... now she looks like KD Lang...
    Yes, closer, please.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  19. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

I see what you mean about looking like a woman with her hair pulled back. Not sure if I see an adam's apple.

KingofThings likes this.
  20. TheOLdGuy

OK, I'm going to ignore the one lady trying to convince everyone that these photos go way back to 2006. :p

Can't help you with the Adam's apple. Lots of guys do not have noticeable ones.
    I am more than 80% sure it's a male - but I haven't made any mistakes yet today so that could be one of them.

Both the necks are showing age. Maybe 50s/60s.

Someone PLEASE take a good look at that "what I call weird" neck scarf/tie/noose" and see if you can come up with a date when it might have been common.

I've got my photo program slightly working, but may totally destroy it today BECAUSE I just bought a new monitor for just that computer, plus a wireless keyboard and mouse. I should not be allowed to play with electronics so who knows what will happen when I attempt to put them all together. I myself may not survive.

If by chance it does work I'll start a new thread in ART looking for heavy advice with a damaged pic I have by Kate Hepburn. Signed, too.

Best I can do right now is simply drop the whole set of these questionable males on here and hope it helps.

CYL. If not you may contact my estate.

~ MVC-759F.JPG MVC-763F.JPG MVC-764F.JPG MVC-778F.JPG MVC-782F.JPG

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted