Featured Share your antique photographs here

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by terry5732, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

First: If that is a male minister, he certainly is "refined" or most 'genteel'.......IMHO. 'His' features certainly are 'delicate', so, from the picture, could go either way. That's just MY opinion!

As for the "tie" on the other gentleman.....it kind of looks like a bow tie that someone used a smallish scarf to try and tie one with.....also, I'm not convinced something is hanging from his neck.....could it be a white vest underneath the suit coat????

MVC-758F.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

3. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm still alive, so must say I disagree with the comments on one above pic.
    Shortest haircut I've seen for a guy, let alone an early 1900 lady. No place for a bun in back. Scroll down a bit and note there is no evidence of a woman who has passed puberty. In other words, no boobs.
    Also, when I stare into a female's eyes she always blinks before melting. :rolleyes:

OK. Still not settled with my computers up and running. Got the new 27 inch HP back lit put together only to find the cable monitor to computer is not included. Then find it is one quarter inch TOO TALL to fit into its spot on my computer desk.

Never before - EVER - lost my temper at an English speaking computer techie on the phone before Thursday night. Staples! He not only told me my Staples card (which I've had for at least 25 years but even now use at least 6 times a year, including twice last week) was invalid but my problem connecting to their website was because I never had an account set up.
    I used at least 10 four letter words shouting at him.

I'll be out shopping today and tomorrow making a pizza for the Pat's first season game.

4. Aquitaine

Poor baby!!! You have my complete sympathies regarding store tecchies!!!! I hate them too!!! For the most part, I love my guys who have been managing my and hubby's systems for years (WHEN needed....which is rarely!!!) BEST part.... they're right in town....have their own business....for years!!! I'm ready for a new desk top and going thru the process of deciding on one....with their help....THAT process am not fond of!!!!

5. TheOLdGuy

OK, another pic taken out of storage.

Another day. I can't leave without posting so I'll just say - see ya later - when I can download the picture.

6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

lyric 014b.jpg
    Tip your puter, the software keeps rotating it.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. TheOLdGuy

OK, got it working, I think.

Is this a standard photo?

It's my paternal grandfather. The one and ONLY picture I have of anyone on my Dad's side of the family.
    He's about 30 years old. I do not remember him. He was killed in an accident when I was about 3 years old. ~ TOG'sGrandDad.JPG Tog'sGrandDadClose.JPG TOGGDSig.JPG

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not "standard" as I would think of it. But you really need @Figtree3 to see this. She can give you a better ID of type and process.

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  9. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

That theater is on the equator.................. ;)

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

This appears to be what is called a solar enlargement or crayon portrait or crayon enlargement. (They did not use the type of crayons that we know today.) The first link below briefly explains the process. There are more documents out there if you do a search. And yes, it's considered to be a photograph by most aficionados, since a photograph is underneath any drawing or coloring. However, you could also consider it a drawing on top of a photograph, I suppose.

These were very popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Some were not colorful and some were. Here are a couple of links about the history of the process:

http://sgarwood.com/node/52
    http://brightbytes.com/woodward.html

There are some examples in this Google image search:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=sol...9wQsAQIMA#tbm=isch&q=crayon+solar+enlargement

cxgirl, KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  11. TheOLdGuy

upload_2016-11-23_10-6-7.jpeg
    ~

Figtree, thanks for that explanation. And especially the picture of how they enlarged it. Very, very interesting.

Aquitaine and Figtree3 like this.
  12. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

Here is a photo I have of Samuel Downing, he fought in the revolutionary war. This photo is out of the book "The last Men of the Revolution."
    IMG_1396.JPG

cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  13. leeddie

leeddie Well-Known Member

I heard a lot of the Bluenose when I lived in Nova Scotia. I have some video of the Bluenose and the other world famous Big Ships that went into Halifax Harbor during the G7 Summit held in Halifax in 1995. It was nice to see them without having to go into the city. I was living at Duncan's Cove at the time so it was a front seat. I miss the ocean, do not miss the cold. Thanks for posting the photo brought back good memories.

lol sorry just noticed it was an OLD post. still glad I saw it.

moreotherstuff and KingofThings like this.
  14. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

No provenience. I think these ladies were all switchboard operators at phone company parties.
    nwb 001.JPG nwb 002.JPG nwb 003.JPG

cxgirl, Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  15. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

LOVE them!
    You can probably find the same ladies in each of the 3 DIFFERENT occasions if you look hard enough

Some deductions:
    Obviously 3 different locations
    Not society functions - mismatched table cloths and utility china (and ketsup bottles on the tables)
    Bottom location probably in a basement or garden level (beveled window ledge on right)
    Seeing some left-hand rings, but no apparent bands so probably single/working women and not a charity or church group
    The lone guy only appears in one photo (as far as I can see)
    Seems that cocktails/wine were only served at the middle function

Probably MUCH more, but I have to go for a bit.....................:(

I LOVE stuff like this - thanks for posting it

Figtree3, Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  16. KingofThings

17. Aquitaine

Don'tcha just LOVE the HATS!!!!!!!:happy::happy::happy::D:D:D

KingofThings likes this.
  18. KingofThings

I posted these in Finds but no response to my question on one so trying here.
    ~
    I doubt the group photo can be placed but I would like an idea of decade.
    Something is telling me this is at the then named; 'Boulder Dam'. Could be because I'm sure a great many went to see it in construction and when complete.
    ~
    The monument, or maybe a mausoleum, may not necessarily be in the USA. It could be in Europe or perhaps elsewhere.
    I spotted the American flags which I watch for. Not shown but I especially want photos with actual blue or gold :( star flags though gold is hard to tell in B&W.
    ~
    I will research the landing craft today but ideas are welcome for this one too.
    ~
    IMG_0894.JPG IMG_0893.JPG IMG_0895.JPG

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    cxgirl likes this.
  19. Aquitaine

King.....20's, 30's?? Look at the hats on the men and women in the first photo.....straw on the men..........also skirt lengths on the women...........

KingofThings likes this.
  20. KingofThings

I suspected so. Thanks! :kiss:
    It was actually Boulder Dam then and built '31-'36.

Draft saved Draft deleted