Featured Share your antique photographs here

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by terry5732, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Well, I'm not here to ask questions about this photo... but I was thinking butterflies. Could be either, I suppose.

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I was just curious what you thought, Fig.

KingofThings and Figtree3 like this.
  3. Figtree3

I know... :)

KingofThings likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I vote butterflies due to the more narrow bodies. Great pic BTW. I find it interesting to see the posing stands behind them.

KingofThings and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Bakersgma

I didn't see that until you mentioned it, Brad. :snaphappy:

KingofThings likes this.
  6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

This automobile excursion in 1912 produced a number of interesting RPPCs which I seem to have misplaced most of
    0410 1912 001.jpg 0410 1912 002.jpg

Vintage Maven and KingofThings like this.
  7. Bakersgma

They look like they're going to be in a parade! July 4th?

Interesting juxtaposition - adults in the car look dressed for cold weather while the kid is climbing up in shorts.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I guess these ones were the Fourth
    0410 1912.jpg
    The misplaced ones were in the mountains, amongst cliffs and streams

KingofThings likes this.
  9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Sue,
    Butterflies, I think but I am sorry but the one is really scarey looking.:eek::eek::eek:
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  10. gregsglass

Hi,
    When cars first came out it was expected to wear a coat when driving or riding in a car. The wind factor would make you cold from the speed of the auto.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  11. gregsglass

Hi,
    Just two photos, I do not see anything interesting in the people but I love the advertising on the backs.
    greg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg

12. Figtree3

Yes, I had seen those. Also, in the discussion on Facebook there was some analysis of the shoes they are wearing and also the length of their dresses. It was decided that they were probably dancers or some other type of performer.

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  13. Figtree3

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

>Just two photos, I do not see anything interesting in the people but I love the advertising on the backs.<

Greg, the 2nd one by Fredricks' of 770 Broadway is the same photographer, C.D. Fredricks, who took the pic in the Scantic Antiques query "CDV Phote of Gentleman W/ Large Medal around his neck." In his query the CDV said "C.D. Fredricks & Co. 587 Broadway." Fredricks was first at 770 Broadway and then at 585-587 Broadway. Ooops, wait a minute. He was at 707 Broadway, not 770. Welllll, I'll slink off for again another cup of tea.

http://historiccamera.com/cgi-bin/librarium2/pm.cgi?action=app_display&app=datasheet&app_id=237

Welllll, wait a minute. The following website say C.D. Fredricks moved to 770 Broadway in 1875.

Last paragraph of the article:
    http://broadway.cas.sc.edu/content/charles-deforest-fredricks

"In 1875 a fire destroyed the Broadway studio. He relocated to 770 Broadway, a four-story photographic palace, outfitted in the modern style, where he trained his son in camera art before retiring and dying in 1894."

--- Susan

15. gregsglass

Hi Susan,
    Thanks for the update. I was thinking that one might have been Mansons:rolleyes: only kidding.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Those two women just had me thinking Steven King's The Shining.

And the guy middle back in the picnic photo... you had Rasputin in your Family?

I'll bet there are people who collect the cards just for the pattern on the back, regardless of the photo on the front.

KingofThings likes this.
  17. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Here's a 3-generation photo that I think is a platinum print:
    [​IMG]

And a publicity shot for the actress Ada Webster:
    [​IMG]

18. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

Here's a rather beaten-up CDV from the album I recently bought - it took a while for me to realise the significance of it, but it's a photo of a 'pit brow lass'. In 1842 a law was passed preventing women from working underground in the coal mines, so they were instead employed to work above ground at the 'pit brow'. They sorted and cleaned the coal, and wore distinctive clothes, including clogs, a skirt over trousers, and head scarf to protect the hair. It must have been dirty and back-breaking work :-(.

More information here: http://www.wigan.gov.uk/pub/council/borough-life/issue16/pitbrow.htm

pit_brow_lass _b.jpg

19. Figtree3

Interesting, Batman_2000. There is always something to learn.

KingofThings and Batman_2000 like this.
  20. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Welllll, we've had the good, a couple of the bad, and now time for the ugly. This CDV dates to the mid 1860s. I hate to admit it, but she's a relative - a sister (1797-1877) of my great great grandmother's. Bless her heart, she must have been hit with an ugly stick at birth. She did have a sad life. Her husband died at the age of 37 leaving her with 5 children - how dare him. Only 2 of her children lived to adulthood. The pic was take in Putnam or Mystic, CT. The photographer had studios in both places.

--- Susan

CDVCHAPMANSophiaSnellFt.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted