Featured Share your antique photographs here

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by terry5732, Apr 8, 2015.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Those Egyptian photos are pretty impressive too. I bet you can see what's in the guy with the fez's buttonhole up close. They had seriously awesome lenses, back when, and really long exposure times. Both led to extremely clear landscape shots. I've seen some taken in the 1890s where you could see a workman at a real distance and see what the guy ate for lunch and read his newspaper too.

2. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Great Grand Dad going to work 1910

IMG_2530.jpg

Great Grand Dad going off to WW1
    IMG_2531.jpg

3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Imagine if it were color. RED CROWN GASOLINE sign in the upper left.
    color 001.JPG

4. terry5732

Just some shifty looking kid. Watch chain and buttons hand painted gold, a little color in cheeks. Tintype.
    kid 002.JPG

5. Karahbell

Karahbell Active Member

My Grandmother on the far right (with her eyes closed lol) She was beautiful, feminine, well mannered and incredibly strong minded. She was a Rosie Riveter during world war 2.
    rosie.jpg

quirkygirl, Michael77, Jivvy and 4 others like this.
  6. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Karahbell, what a wonderful photo to have of your grandmother. You must be so glad that she is a part of your lineage. "Rosie the Riveter(s)" did quite a few jobs which were dangerous during WWII -- ship and aircraft building come to mind. ;)

Christmasjoy, Michael77 and Karahbell like this.
  7. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree, incredible women of that era. Your Grandmother absolutely included amongst them. Incredible photo as well!

8. Karahbell

Karahbell Active Member

Thank you! I am so glad to have that photo. She was a welder, not sure what she was welding but I admire her so much. She taught me a lot and was a great role model. <3

9. Vintage Maven

This is another from my vintage photography collection. It’s a very rare original candid of Judy Garland. It was taken in between takes while filming Presenting Lily Mars (released in 1943).

The scene they were shooting was for the musical finale for the movie, it was eventually scraped in favour of another.

This photo was taken either during late October or early November 1942.

5ECB0EC5-2612-43A3-BCF5-A2F5B31F7CE4.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  10. terry5732

Relations? The young girl has a revenue stamp (1862-1866), no google results for 'maya tilen', leftmost is LA Richardson of Leominster Mass.
    tilen 001.JPG tilen 007.JPG tilen 006.JPG tilen 008.JPG tilen 003.JPG

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

12. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Christmasjoy, komokwa and i need help like this.
  13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

14. Vintage Maven

From my vintage photography collection.

This is a rare unpublished photo of the iconic pin-up girl Bettie Page.
    It was made directly from the original negative. The photo was taken in New York City during 1950, by a photographer from the infamous “New York Camera Club” as it was so called to skirt past what the photography was truly all about.

B83DFCD9-DEFC-4071-A1CA-F031245F6630.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Jivvy, Bookahtoo and terry5732 like this.
  15. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Some antique photographs from the same estate as the RPPC postcards I posted a little while ago in the Vintage Postcard thread. Can't believe the family didn't want them - I think they are cool and have added them to my collection.
    Ephemera Old Photograph from New Richmond, OH estate 01.jpg Ephemera Old Photograph from New Richmond, OH estate 02.jpg Ephemera Old Photograph from New Richmond, OH estate 03.jpg Ephemera Old Photograph from New Richmond, OH estate 04.jpg Ephemera Old Photograph from New Richmond, OH estate 05.jpg

16. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

Nice!
    Post WWI, I would say for the first pic.
    Judging by the German military holster the guy in the middle is wearing.
    Not sure he has a medal too...
    Any chance to get a better view of the bloke?

Joe2007 likes this.
  17. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

It does appear to be a medal. Thanks for the info. Does this help? I can try to take a better photo of him tomorrow if not. This area of Southern Ohio got lots of German immigrants from the 1850's until the early 20th century. Our rich brewing heritage is mostly thanks to those immigrants.
    photo detail.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  18. kristiaan

Sorry still to vague to me.

19. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Zooming in with my better camera. Doesn't appear to be much additional detail to be had.

photo detail.jpg detail2.jpg

20. kristiaan

No, it doesn' t help to id it.
    But my guess is that it isn't a military medal.
    Might be a maconique, religious, civilian even carnival related...

Joe2007 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted