Featured Share your antique photographs here

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by terry5732, Apr 8, 2015.

1. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Vintage, but not antique yet. A candid shot of Bob Hope during his Nov. 30, 1949 radio broadcast from the University of Southern California. One of three my dad saved from his college days. Another is a nice shot of Bob and Doris Day at the mic. I like this one of Hope hamming it up.
    BobHope01s.jpg

Vintage Maven and bercrystal like this.
  2. smallaxe

Train's gonna be late. Black canyon of the Gunnison River, Colorado ca. 1916.
    GBL-L-175s.jpg
    GBL-L-174s.jpg

3. smallaxe

From 1907, this is a shot of a drama production at an all boys New England boarding school for the well heeled. Since all the students were male, they had to play the female roles as well. The drama productions there were taken seriously. The headmaster's adult son was a Broadway playwright who often wrote, directed, and produced the plays. In later years, one even had original Cole Porter songs.
    GBL-A2-073s.jpg GBL-A2-073sc.jpg

4. R Ewing

R Ewing EclecticMomsAttic

Wonderful old photos!

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

What was the name of the school? How did you find out the history? Is there some identification written on it? (I love investigating old photos, so this is just out of curiosity.)

6. smallaxe

A collection of around 500 photos taken between 1895 and 1920 by my wife's great grandfather and her great uncle came to me a couple years ago because I have an interest in history. About 5 of them had something written on them. Some are of people, but most are places. I've spent quite a lot of time researching them, which has been an interesting adventure, and for many of them it was quite difficult at first.

I have most of them worked out now, with lots of help from a number of local historians and other people connected to the places. They cover NY, PA, CT, RI, AZ, CO, WY, and MT. The hardest ones to figure out were the Montana photos until I stumbled on this Park Service web page. I had that same photo! It turns out that a Park Service historian found some photos on EBAY and purchased them, including the one on that page. They were old prints of the same photos I had, although I had a bunch more in addition to those. I think my wife's great grandfather had made some additional prints and sent them to somebody back then, and many decades later they showed up on EBay. From that, the whole story of the Montana photos unfolded. In that Park Service photo, I'm pretty sure my wife's great uncle is second from the left, a young teen at the time.

The school in the photo you referenced is Westminster School in Simsbury CT. My wife's great uncle attended there between 1907 and 1909. The photos of that school had the school name written by them, so they were easy. I sent hi-res scans of the several photos I had from there to the school historian, as I thought they might like them, and he told me the info about the drama program.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    Joe2007 and Figtree3 like this.
  7. smallaxe

Here is a closeup of the man identified as Teddy Roosevelt in the photo from the Park Service website I mentioned in my previous post. I don't think it's actually Roosevelt. I think it is someone that resembles him (even down to the glasses, which are barely visible). I researched the timeline of Roosevelt during the period the photo could have been taken, and it doesn't match up. It's possible it's him, but I think it's unlikely.
    GBL-A1-062cs.jpg

Joe2007 and Figtree3 like this.
  8. Figtree3

That is very interesting. Thank you!

By the way, I'm not an expert on Teddy Roosevelt but it doesn't look like him to me, either.

9. Figtree3

And what a lot of work that was! Sometimes I'm slowed by the number of photos I have and how much time the research would take. Almost none of mine are family photos, I'm just a collector of antique photos. But I do enjoy doing the research. Your description is an inspiration, @smallaxe !

Aquitaine likes this.
  10. SYNCHRONCITY

SYNCHRONCITY Well-Known Member

Bored here on coronavirus lock down in New York... Glad I found this thread. I have about 30 antique photo albums with hundreds of pictures, so I'll post a bunch of pictures for you guys.

The first picture looks like Axe murderess Lizzie Borden. I don't know if it is her, but the weird part is it is marked with a Massachusetts photo studio on the back. I think the second is General Tom Thumb and wife. I'll post some more pics soon. PHOTO 16.jpg PHOTO 17.jpg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  11. SYNCHRONCITY

Just a few pics I have in some albums...
    PHOTO 1.jpg PHOTO 2.jpg PHOTO 3.jpg PHOTO 6.jpg PHOTO 7.jpg PHOTO 8.jpg PHOTO 9.jpg PHOTO 10.jpg PHOTO 11.jpg PHOTO 12.jpg

12. SYNCHRONCITY

13. smallaxe

That does look like Lizzie Borden.
    [​IMG]
    look at the jewelry piece at her neck. Is it the same? From this web page.

14. SYNCHRONCITY

OMG! Maybe it is!! Good catch! That brooch looks like a similar one!! Is that a photo of her step mom? If it is, maybe she borrowed it off of her before killing her. Sorry I have a dark sense of humor, lol.

I always thought my photo was possibly her, but thought maybe I was seeing things or it was wishful thinking. Who knows? Stranger things have happened.
    My picture is on the left compared to a known photo of Lizzie. What do you think? photo lizzie.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  15. SYNCHRONCITY

I was going through some more old pictures of unknown people I have in albums and it is so interesting to see the different types of fashions and hairstyles from long ago. Some of these people do not look very happy to be taking these photos :D
    PHOTO 18.jpg
    What happened here? This is the worst hand tinting I've ever seen, lol.

PHOTO 19.jpg
    PHOTO 20.jpg
    Jeepers Creepers, where did you get those peepers? :p

PHOTO 21.jpg
    Great hair!

PHOTO 22.jpg
    Civil War era Belle?

PHOTO 23.jpg
    PHOTO 24.jpg
    Good Ol' Honest Abe

PHOTO 25.jpg
    Honest Abe's cousin?, lol.

PHOTO 26.jpg
    This old guy looks angry- all fire and brimstone, lol.

PHOTO 27.jpg
    I've never seen a lady with short hair from this era, before this picture.

quirkygirl likes this.
  16. SYNCHRONCITY

I hope this isn't considered rude that I've been posting so many pictures. I'm just bored locked down due to Covid19 and thought I would share some of my albums with you all. If it is rude, I apologize.

Ladies with cool hair and hats:
    ANTIQUE PHOTOS 1.jpg
    ANTIQUE PHOTOS 2.jpg
    ANTIQUE PHOTOS 3.jpg
    ANTIQUE PHOTOS 4.jpg
    ANTIQUE PHOTOS 5.jpg
    ANTIQUE PHOTOS 6.jpg
    ANTIQUE PHOTOS 7.jpg

17. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

18. SYNCHRONCITY

Thank you so much!! I am excited about sharing my collection with others. I was afraid the OP or others would think I was hijacking their thread.

yourturntoloveit and kyratango like this.
  19. Figtree3

Well, the title of the thread says share your antique photos here! And you are doing that, so no problem!

20. Figtree3

The brooch/pin was a very common type at the time. I can't tell for sure but the one the stepmother is wearing looks a bit different at the ends from the one in the photo from your collection. So, that is not much of a clue. I do think the woman in your photo resembles Lizzie Borden enough that it would be worth investigation.

Which Massachusetts photo studio took your photo, and where was it located?

SYNCHRONCITY likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted