Featured Share your antique photographs here

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by terry5732, Apr 8, 2015.

1. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

In that case, just for you, here's another photo from the same boy's school that I posted a photo from on April 20. This is ca. 1907.

GBL-A2-072.jpg

2. Requiem

Requiem Well-Known Member

Strange people, who would be completely alien in our contemporary society.

3. R Ewing

R Ewing EclecticMomsAttic

Smallaxe, do any of your Panama Canal photos include the building of the canal? My niece works for Caterpillar, at their headquarters they have a nice museum and there's a big section on the building of the Panama Canal. And the later work done on it. Very interesting.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. smallaxe

I don't have family photos of the building of the canal, but have many prints of photos taken during construction that my dad and grandad accumulated, most of which are official photos that I would imagine are in the Library of Congress. The construction was very well documented photographically. I have later original photos of canal operations, and my granddad's 8mm film from the mid 1950's that shows heavy equipment (likely Caterpiller equipment) widening the Culebra Cut.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    yourturntoloveit and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Love it. Thank you!!

6. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

My grandmother Kate Walsh Sharp, on the left, smoking with her friends at White Bear Lake, MN. ( I come from a long line of bad girls). mail.jpg

7. Darkwing Manor

And my grandfather Warren Sharp, equally wild. (Order of the Redman Lodge, St. Paul, MN). WW Sharp-Redmen Lodge mail.jpg

Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  8. smallaxe

9. Darkwing Manor

Probably around 1900-1910. Here's the full Lodge photo which is interesting in it's details of the regalia. WW Sharp redmen's Lodge mail.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. smallaxe

@Darkwing Manor - Flags in photos can be useful in dating them. The flag on the wall was in effect from 4 July 1896–3 July 1908. That narrows your range a little. It's all in the stars.

11. R Ewing

R Ewing EclecticMomsAttic

Neat. We really enjoyed going through the Caterpillar museum and gained great appreciation for the building of the Panama Canal, what they really entailed. And then the later improvement/re-do. There is one vehicle that is I believe 3 stories high. The wheels alone were about twice as high as an adult.

12. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Guess I'm stuck with this odd duck. Watermelons or what? Circa 1900-1910.
    odd 001.JPG odd 003.JPG odd 002.JPG

Darkwing Manor and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Wow! Those are some big watermelons!
    Or maybe I'm just forgetting? The ones they sell in the supermarkets now are much smaller than the ones we bought in the 1960s.

14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Not sure if this one will come out well enough to see. It was blurry to begin with, and I need to do a better scan.

Anyway, several years ago I bought a small autograph book from the 1920s that had a few extras shoved inside. One was this small trimmed snapshot of a group of young women. The autograph book belonged to a girl who was attended a summer class at the Iowa State Teachers College (now the University of Northern Iowa). She was staying in a boarding house, and I'm guessing these are all the residents there.

Autograph book girls 1 (1024x448).jpg

15. Bookahtoo

What do you think these people are building? A sidewalk? Dated 1940.

smalltully025-crop.jpg

smalltully025-crop4.jpg

16. Bookahtoo

What do you think is going on here?

smalltully023-crop4.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. smallaxe

@Bookahtoo - first set of photos looks like a water feature.

18. Bookahtoo

You mean like a canal?

19. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

smallaxe likes this.
  20. smallaxe

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted