Featured Share your antique photographs here

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by terry5732, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Oh - so Terry and you had the same idea ..... it makes sense. Thank you Terry and small axe.
    There's lots of pictures in this lot of people fishing. I'll have to go through them again and pull those to see if they have anything to do with these two photos.

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

A watery wedding ceremony? :):singing:

Just kidding... I have no idea!

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think maybe an irrigation ditch. Those bar-like things slow the rate of flow.

Maybe the second is a river baptism.

4. Bookahtoo

fig and moreotherstuff - those were the two things I thought of - a wedding or a baptism.

How old do you think those bathing suits are?

Figtree3 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  5. SYNCHRONCITY

SYNCHRONCITY Well-Known Member

Last week I got an old CDV photo album from the 1860's on ebay. Some of them had some cool Civil War era tax revenue stamps on the back of them. In this album is an old Cincinnati, Ohio family. Sadly, none of the pictures had names on them. I love the fashions that the ladies wore. Here is a small sampling of what was in the tattered old album...

CDV 1.jpg
    CDV 2.jpg
    CDV 3.jpg
    CDV 4.jpg
    CDV 5.jpg CDV 6.jpg CDV 7.jpg CDV 8.jpg CDV 9.jpg CDV 010.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  6. SYNCHRONCITY

Here are 10 more random pictures from that same album:
    CDV 011.jpg
    CDV 012.jpg CDV 013.jpg CDV 014.jpg CDV 015.jpg CDV 016.jpg CDV 017.jpg CDV 018.jpg CDV 019.jpg CDV 020.jpg

7. Bookahtoo

What a wonderful bunch of photos.. Thank you for sharing them.

8. SYNCHRONCITY

Thank you Bookahtoo :joyful:

9. Figtree3

I'm not extremely knowledgeable about the timeframes for bathing suit fashions. Maybe create a new thread for the photo?
    Also, please give more info about the photo. Is it a postcard, a snapshot, or a card-mounted photo? Please show the whole thing, including the back. The image appears to me to have been changed to black/gray/white tones. Was it? Many photos from that era have either a sepia or a yellow or silvery surface.

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Book, I want to say this group is getting ready for a Baptism, but I also could be totally off base....the guy on the far RIGHT also has a wicked scar up his left cheek!!! Tried to enhance what the woman on the left was holding, but no go!!!

smalltully023-crop4-gigapixel-scale-2_00x-1.jpg

Figtree3 and SYNCHRONCITY like this.
  11. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

12. SYNCHRONCITY

Wow! You have really good eyes. I didn't notice that gash on the side of the guy's face until you mentioned it. Ouch!! That is one big scar!

13. Bookahtoo

Fig - the photo is about 2 1/2" by 4", it is sepia, and it's printed on thick paper, almost but not quite cardboard. I scanned it as a black and white photo - I guess I should have scanned it as a color photo.
    I'll make a thread about it.

Figtree3 and SYNCHRONCITY like this.
  14. Figtree3

Every clue helps!

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

1914 bathing suits. From the Butterick catalog. Very similar.

Debora

500-1914-may-p-36-peg-top-bathing-suits-l-6891-c-6894-r-6912-bathing-costumes-butterick.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  16. Bookahtoo

Thanks Debora.

17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HAHAHA!!! How many of us DID NOT READ WHAT IT SAYS RIGHT UNDER THE PICTURE ABOUT WATER WINGS............DUUUUUUHHHHH!!!!! (I know I neglected tooooo!!)

18. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Huh?

19. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Looks like that guy not only has a wicked scar but a messed up eye and throat.....WWI victim, or went through a non safety glass Model T window......

Aquitaine likes this.
  20. Requiem

Requiem Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted