Featured Share your antique photographs here

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by terry5732, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Susan,

The best thing to say is that her face has character. :cat:

And I'm growing to really appreciate photos of people whose faces have character.

Fig

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

>The best thing to say is that her face has character. :cat:<

Hmmm...character.... well all I can say, I'd hate to meet her in a dark alley. Now that's a face that can cause dogs to tuck tails and run away howling. :woot::nailbiting::jawdrop:

>And I'm growing to really appreciate photos of people whose faces have character.<

My growth was stunted years ago!! :( You're an angel, Fig, to try to give this pic credence.

--- Susan

KingofThings and Figtree3 like this.
  3. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

The photo's (and her) greatest "credence" to me is that "family" has kept the photo all these years and still remembers her life story.

KingofThings, Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think it's mama on left and grandma in center. That woman on the left really confronts the camera.

5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I meant to reply to your excellent observation sooner. My family, both sides, were very much family oriented with a keen sense of history and genealogy. Family stories were a part of everyday life. They were told over the dinner table continuously. The funniest one were told over and over at the big gatherings of Thanksgiving and Xmas.

It was never considered "taboo" to recount stories of the departed - the funnier the better. It was our heritage. I have been with many many people who never talk about their dear departed parents, grandparents, etc... They almost act like it was a sacrilege! We always thought it was a tribute to dear ones to recount stories about them. In a way it kept them alive in our minds. I have vivid memories of my grandparents and their siblings recounting tales of their great grandparents and grandparents that they remembered and of course they remembered stories their grandparents told.

That woman (message #60) was a great aunt of my grandmother's. My grandmother remembered her aunts and uncles telling about the woman's sad life. Also a genealogy was written about that family line. The picture was in a c1900 photo album of my great aunt - a sister of my grandmother's. This great aunt lived to be 98. She was married, but never was able to have children. She and her husband did raise a couple of his orphaned nephews. As I am the only great granddaughter of the line, she passed the album on to me.

--- Susan

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

001.jpg 002.jpg Hi,
    I have two that are a mystery to me. The large CVD is either my gtgrandma's cousin Sam Lewis or a young Vincent Price. What say ye?
    The tintype. I know boys wore dresses when little but did they wear panatoons also?
    Is it a boy or a girl with short hair? I knew that when they were sick they cut the hair off so not to "sap" their strenght.
    greg

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Somehow I don't think Vincent would have been around when that picture was taken. ;)

Well, it occurred to me this morning that today would have been my grandfather's 119th birthday. So in honor of the occasion, here's a picture of him taken in France sometime between June 1918 and May 1919 (the dates when he was serving overseas in WWI.) He was assigned to both the 113th Infantry and the 29th Infantry and, after losing much of his hearing, to the Army Post Office. The picture was printed on at least 2 RPPCs - one has no message but another contained greetings to his grandfather.

Everett Dodge Van Nostrand in France RPPC Resized.jpg

elarnia, Bookahtoo, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  8. Figtree3

Not Vincent Price! :woot::smuggrin::peeking::jawdrop:

Bakersgma, How wonderful to have that photo of your grandfather in uniform --

And Susan, your family has great traditions.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. gregsglass

Hi,
    I was really being silly about the Vincent Price,:rolleyes: it just reminded me of him. It is Samuel Lewis. Now about the pantaloons??? boy or girl. Boys usually had long hair while wearing dresses. This one has me puzzled.
    greg

KingofThings and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Figtree3

Greg, I'm not really good about ID-ing whether small 19th-century children were boys or girls. I know that there is a convention that hair parted on the side was for boys, and hair parted in the middle was for girls. But some people claim that was not always accurate. Still, it seems accurate more often than not.

11. gregsglass

Hi Fig,
    Thanks, I heard that also, but I do not know if this is my Great Grandfather or his sister. If there were no pantaloons I would lean towards male but Clara had a really bad case of Scarlet Fever when she was five. I do not know if they cut her hair or not.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  12. yourturntoloveit

Gregsglass said: ". . . but Clara had a really bad case of Scarlet Fever when she was five."

A long time ago before all the "new" antibiotics were available, a child could lose his/her hair from the high fever which accompanied scarlet fever.

A person I went to elementary school with had scarlet fever and lost her hair, not only on her head but also her eyelashes and (I think I remember) most of her eyebrows.

She still didn't have eyelashes when I last saw her about five or so years ago.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Mom, should be around 1927 - have always loved this pic.

~Cheryl

momtoddler-a.jpg

14. yourturntoloveit

DragonflyWink, the word "precious" applies to your mother in that sweet photograph.

And I love her little dress, especially the collar with its touches of embroidery.

KingofThings likes this.
  15. gregsglass

Hi Cheryl,
    She is a real cutie. I love the chair she is in.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  16. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Thanks for the compliments, she's still cute at 89, and can still be found with leaves in her hand (spends a lot of time working in her yard).

~Cheryl

17. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

This is my favorite part of the Antiquers forum, as the photos posted here have been an endless source of fascination for me. This is a ca. 1890 Newark NJ photo I purchased from a collection of similar photos at an estate sale. Written on the back of this photo is: "Here I am cooking coffee. Come and have a cup."
    CookingCoffeeFrameSmlr.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

While I've never sought out old photo's to collect.....this one came my way...& how could I refuse to snap it up...

charliechaplin autophoto.jpg

19. Figtree3

Morgen, good to see you -- at least, I don't remember many posts from you recently. I love that photo! It's likely to be mid-1890s by the way. That is when women's sleeves were huge (mutton chop) for a few years.

And Komokwa, nice photo of a young Charlie Chaplin!

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  20. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

What a great find, komokwa!

Fig, thank you for the kind words and for the refined 1890's date, which I should have known and written. Re my posts, I check in fairly often, but by the time I do you all have solved all the riddles and answered all the questions...which is why I enjoy reading these forums (fora?).

Here is another photo from the same house as the cooking-coffee photo...
    WatermelonSmlr.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted