Featured Share your antique photographs here

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by terry5732, Apr 8, 2015.

1. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@smallaxe, was only referring to @SBSVC's, right under my post....i.e. the water wings!!

3. Phil Douglas

Phil Douglas Member

This is one of several transparencies measuring about 4" by 4" that came from my mum. This would be Gilbert her dad, who died in the late 40's, taking it easy in his garden in Marlow, Buckinghamshire.
    A lot of the detail has gone from the photos, and they have darkened over the years -- this is one of the clearer ones. Is that a bottle of Guinness by his side? I'm guessing it would be Mum behind the camera, she had a box brownie and a Hassleblad that she took to the then Belgian Congo in the 50's.

Beer&deckchair.jpg

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Phil....I do use Photoshop and Topaz-Gigapixel AI, and wish I could say I could clarify your image....but am NOT a professional at it....Not sure anyone could as it's pretty blurry to start with....but a nice image to preserve.....below are just my efforts...WOULD LOVE to be able to say that's a bottle of Guinness....I just can't!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Beer&deckchair-2-gigapixel-scale-1_00x.jpg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. Phil Douglas

Phil Douglas Member

I always used to laugh when they said "Enhance that!" in the movies -- but you just did!

6. smallaxe

View up Fifth Avenue towards the Flatiron Building in New York City. I believe this was taken near 29th & 5th Ave. Visible at the left is the studio of well known Broadway photographer David H. Anderson, who occupied this location at 251 5th Ave from 1901 to 1905. The Flatiron Building was completed in 1902, so that narrows the date range for this photo to 1902-1905. Based on other photos with this one, it's probably from the later end of that range.
    GBL-A1-028.jpg
    approximately view today
    Untitled.jpg

7. smallaxe

Hispanic or Native farmer, plowing under corn stubble, circa 1905 near (and probably a little south of) Tucson, Arizona.

GBL-A2-046.jpg

yourturntoloveit and bercrystal like this.
  8. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Got a few antique photo albums fairly cheaply at an estate auction today. Collecting postcards and other ephemera has gotten me to expand my areas of interest to include antique photos. Have a lot to learn.
    photograph - estate lot albumn.jpg photograph - estate lot 01.jpg photograph - estate lot 02.jpg photograph - estate lot 03.jpg photograph - estate lot 04.jpg photograph - estate lot 05.jpg photograph - estate lot 06.jpg photograph - estate lot 07.jpg photograph - estate lot 08.jpg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  9. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Re the next-to-last photo above -- oh what a cutie-pie that little girl is in the big-wheels carriage.;)

Aquitaine likes this.
  10. smallaxe

A silly photo to resurrect this thread. Based on other photos with this one, this dog was the pet/companion/mascot of a small group of students (likely a fraternity) attending Lehigh University, Bethlehem PA, in the first half of the 1910's.
    GBL-A2-077.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  11. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

12. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

Have some bad photos of some old hand-coloured albumens P1110592-1.jpg P1110593.jpg

Attached Files:

13. smallaxe

The dog photo a couple posts back was taken by a fellow that graduated Lehigh U. in 1914. This was the house of his fraternity, in Fountain Hill PA near Lehigh University. The house was built in 1888, with funds provided by his uncle and his father. It was a frat house until 1950, when it was converted into a residence, which it still is today.
    GBL-A2-013.jpg
    And this is a football game at Lehigh University some time between 1910 and 1914. Some players are wearing a leather helmet, and some have no helmet at all.
    GBL-L-051.jpg

Joe2007 and kristiaan like this.
  14. smallaxe

This is probably from the 1920's, but could also be from 1910-1915. Does anyone recognize what make of car it is? It looks like it would have been fast for its time. Knowing the make of the car will help me date the photo.
    GBL-L-203.jpg

Born2it, Joe2007, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

You might also consider starting a separate discussion thread for this one. I don't know the answer, but somebody here might! Too bad the front of the car is not visible. The clothing on the people kind of looks like 1920s to me. It is hard to tell, though, maybe earlier. And the car could date earlier than the photo... It does look kind of new in the picture.

16. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. terry5732

The car has a kerosene lamp rather than electric headlights

18. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I think it has both Terry.

smallaxe likes this.
  19. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

That angle of photo doesn’t leave much to go on but I think based on the hood maybe a Pierce Arrow. Not sure what model/series but 1915-1919 ish.

20. terry5732

[​IMG]
    Lotta similarities

Draft saved Draft deleted