Featured Share your antique photographs here

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by terry5732, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Beautiful! Too bad you didn't buy it! Was the price high?

2. I like that! Get a good scan of it up.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"1928" is written in center.

Debora

2742233B-434B-47AF-95B2-AA4B21298816.jpg

4. Hand-tinted albumen print...

[​IMG]

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

She's lovely. Her unbound hair will have some symbolic meaning, perhaps of rank.

Debora

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

In some cultures it would mean she's of marriagable age but not yet "taken". Other places would consider it "advertising". The picture has a number, so this was a photo with a lot of copies made.

7. [​IMG]
    Not exactly a photo, but still apropos me thinks. Boy they travelled cushy, albeit slow back then.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  8. Don't know. Never got into them that much. Lots to learn about this stuff.

9. They would sell in bound books to tourists.

10. Didn't notice that. Was looking at the girls and what was on their head!

11. evelyb30

Hair. It's called hair.(LOL) The swimsuits were probably wool, btw.

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Those are palm fronds. By 1928, their hair would have been bobbed (like these 1928 bathing beauties.)

Debora

winners-of-1928-bathing-beauty-contest.jpg

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Figtree3, I have a question for you....or @moreotherstuff or anyone else doing this! My Sister-in-law asked if I could restore her old family picture, which I've done digitally,(to the best of my ability (before & after images will be posted below...) she's asked if I can also put it back on a mounting similar to what the torn in half one is currently on.....I have searched and looked high & low and not found anything like what she wants....one supply house said the new image shouldn't be mounted at all.....so I'm currently at a loss as to how to proceed....do you (OR ANYONE!!!) have any constructive suggestions as to how to proceed at this point???
    I appreciate any input and as ALWAYS, THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    BEFORE and AFTER...

REDUCED SIZE FOR POSTING.jpg

SMALLER CLAIRES TO SEND.jpg

14. evelyb30

Nice job! I've never seen one of those mounts without a photo on it.

Aquitaine likes this.
  15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Well done on the restoration!

You could look for a period mount with an inconsequential photo and either remove the old photo or simply overlay it.

I don't have a printer but am told that photo finish papers are available for printers, so you could print it as a continuous photograph and paste it to a mount.

The higher the digital density, the better.

Figtree3, Aquitaine and Roaring20s like this.
  16. Aquitaine

@moreotherstuff, :), you have no idea HOW many photos I've already gone through looking for one with a decent mount behind/around it!!! Even Library of Congress....having narrowed it down....there's a total of 23,000 that I'm NOT quite half way through!!!! BUMMER!!!! They mostly seem to just want the photos, not so much what they were mounted on unless there was meaningful writing!!!:( And I've just ordered some Archival matte paper that's supposed to be for this kind of print...here's hoping!!!:happy:

17. Aquitaine

Thanks @evelyb30! For the most part, that's my relaxation!!!!

18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

So she would want you to mount the picture, including the picture of the matte, onto another matte? I'm not quite understanding. If you were going to crop out the photo image itself and then glue that to a matte, I would suggest the same that @moreotherstuff did. But it is a little tricky, since you would have to get the right size, and a similar matte.

There are plenty of old photos for sale on eBay. So if you are cutting the image and putting it on a different matte, I'm sure something could be found that is in better condition than the original. If you are gluing the entire thing, including the picture of the matte, onto something new, you could probably find a piece of thick artist board that could be cut to the right size.

And by the way, what are the sizes of the image and the mount? And is your edited piece the same size?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
  19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I have lots of old family photos around here with those kinds of mounts. I don't quite know what to do with them. It's the photos that matter, and if I removed them from the mounts, storage would be so much easier, but I like the mounts. They're beautiful bits of period design and even though they are nothing anyone would call "rare", it seems a shame to just trash them.

Aquitaine and Figtree3 like this.
  20. Aquitaine

@Figtree3, I think my SiL likes the 'mount' the picture is on because bottom right corner has embossed the local photographer (National Studio, 76 Front Street, Worcester), and the photo itself is just 5-1/2" X 3-3/4".... the mount itself is 8-3/4" X 5-7/8.....I'd never even thought of looking on ebay....great idea!!! And I agree with @moreotherstuff in that the 'mount' is part of what makes the whole scene and adds to the age/period!!! Still in a quandary though....separating the image from the mount isn't a problem....finding a nice, thick mount IS:happy:.....off to check out ebay for starters!! Wouldn't it be nice to find something vintage, in pristine condition, AND the right size!!!! AGAIN, thanks for your help!!!!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted