Featured Share your antique photographs here

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by terry5732, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

You're welcome! And of course the studio name and location are very important, for a variety of reasons. If you do find another mount that would be appropriate, cut out the studio information and attach it to the back of the new mount -- OR, just type it on a piece of paper and attach it. That information shouldn't be lost.

Aquitaine likes this.
  2. Figtree3

@Aquitaine , I sent you a private message that I was looking for something in my collection for which the mount and print were the same size as yours ... and that I'd be willing to part with. This is the closest, but unfortunately the mount is chipped all around the edges and also the names of the subjects of the photo are penciled on the back. It is also a dark mount and the one you have is not.

I knew that mounts came in a lot of different sizes, but was surprised how difficult it was to exactly match the size of yours! The photo print itself is the same size as the one you are dealing with.

Catharine Gesner Pyle McChesney studio resized.jpg

slackercruster, Aquitaine and KSW like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

BTW, The young girl on the right in your photo takes me back to when I was about her age WAAAAAAY before my Mom would let me have anything to do with cutting my hair, and she'd always have those "banana" curls on me!!!!!!:happy::happy: BOTH girls are beautiful!!!!:happy:

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Figtree3

One of my sisters had naturally curly hair, and she had the banana curls, too. Yes, I do like this photo!

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

We have a local Framing outfit in Worcester (next to us) where I've had a few things done....going to ask if they can do anything like I'd like done (Probably not!) but they do have a nice selection of mats.....it's an art store as well as framing.... thinking I'm more likely to find what I want at a place like that link I sent you @Figtree3, (https://www.framersworkshop.com/SpecialtyMats/index.html), although even there may be nearly impossible! I DID find a "frame" somewhere online that I LOVE (will post below) for my image, and in Photoshop can change the color to anything I like, BUT that's NOT getting the image into a hard matte board either..... SUCH a conundrum!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek: And SO frustrating!!! I put my image in it with a 'Tan' color, but could be ANY color!!!

antique photo frame 001 copy-X3-TAN.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Hey, @Figtree3 and anyone else who's been following this FUN and WHOLE LONG forum!!!! I finally put my brain back together!!! After talking again to my SiL, she's planning on framing and just hanging her photo on the wall, so whatever I can do for a "mount" board CAN be digital around her picture!!!!!! HEADACHE SOLVED!!!! OPINIONS Please....I can make the frame ANY color I want/or whatever SHE wants!! Was able to enlarge her image about 2" all around, so she's happy about that! She plans to put it in an 8" X 10" black frame with an off white (sh*%#...still having trouble spelling!) mat....AND I remembered I can emboss into my work using Photoshop.....so Fig, the Photography Shop that did the image originally is now just about where it was on the original board that's showing way back in this thread!!! And I think I'm D-O-N-E!!!!!!!!!!! Unless the color of the Frame needs to change, and that's pretty easy at this point!!! Please offer up opinions if you think a different color frame would work better....I can't get hold of her at the moment!!!
    Thanks so much for your help and support through this!!!! It means a LOT!!!:happy::happy::)

ALL SMART OBJCTS--CHANGING SIZES FOR 8 X 10.jpg

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Good idea!

Aquitaine likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Looks great to me! Of course, go with colors that she likes. :)

Aquitaine likes this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Looks great!

If she frames it, there might be room enough behind the picture to keep the original with it.

Aquitaine and Figtree3 like this.
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

My mother recently passed away and among the bits and bobs I chose from her estate was this 1956 photo of my parents' wedding at Saint Benedict’s Abbey Church in Ealing, London. Thanks to @silvermakersmarks comprehensive website I quickly found out the old silver frame was made in Birmingham in 1929, likely by Samuel M Levi. :)
    (Sorry about the cat hair on the close-up photo of the marks! :cat:)

09D94E21-80CA-4C58-864A-B37AE2D2C124.jpeg 1337F476-6AA3-4542-9C40-C47096C1A18B.jpeg 651A015B-2F54-4122-8117-ABCA78FF069B.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
    Bronwen, Aquitaine, SBSVC and 4 others like this.
  11. [​IMG]

...down on the farm

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Nice quality as well as some others here. Glad people are taking some effort in good scans / photos. (BTW, the pig is not mine, so quality is so-so. Found it online)

bluumz likes this.
  13. Jon L

Jon L Well-Known Member

My grandmother in 1912. Obviously wants to be the first female driver in a soap box derby...
    Shadley 1912.jpg

14. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

This is part of a small group of antique photos available for sale locally (no, I'm not buying).

This young man must have spent quite some time on his hair!

Screenshot (102).png

15. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I got this today in a clearance, framed under glass, the bike has pneumatic tyres and by the shape of the handlebars I estimate 1890's'

Apart from his trophies he has a plaque to the lower left with medals attached.

upload_2022-12-5_23-28-4.jpeg

upload_2022-12-5_23-28-49.jpeg

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Cool! I wonder where the races were.

daveydempsey and KSW like this.
  17. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

It's amazing to me that that basic bicycle shape is unchanged in over 100 years...

daveydempsey likes this.
  18. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

This is a real photo postcard of first cousins having fun at Coney Island in 1904.

Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 10.20.30 PM.png

A hobo & a convict - RSB
    Ray Stannard Baker (1870–1946). Famous “muckraker” for McClure’s magazine. Co-founder of The American Magazine. Publicity agent for the League of Nations Peace Conference at Versailles in 1919. Pulitzer prizewinner as Woodrow Wilson’s biographer.

Enjoying ourselves - ADB
    Arthur Davis Baker (1869–1953). President of Michigan Millers Insurance Company.

Draft saved Draft deleted