Featured Share your antique photographs here

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by terry5732, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I bought one with that odd sort of cutout look. But mine is so faded I don't think it will scan well. Great photo!

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  2. Figtree3

The watermelons in Morgen's photo reminded me of this one, which I shared on the old eBay boards years ago. One of the strangest photos I own, in some respects.

Odd because almost none of the men are looking at the camera, and even fewer are looking at each other. Many people are passing pieces of fruit to each other. Penciled on the back is information that these guys were from a boarding house.

043 (800x528).jpg

3. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Figtree3, I like the array of neckwear styles in your photo -- a string? tie, a bow tie, possibly a cravat, and neckties as we know them even today. ;)

KingofThings and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

There are several with a very "shifty" look. :shifty:

6. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

That is so odd none of them seem to be looking directly at anyone, except maybe the little girl

KingofThings likes this.
  7. yourturntoloveit

Figtree3, re the photo you posted in entry #95, one question for you --

Could you please use a magnifying glass over the photo and tell me what "food???" is arrayed on the tray on the table? I hate to say this but . . . it looks like 2 or 3 small mammals bearing a strong resemblance to shrews but with raccoon-like "bandit mask" markings IMHO, and they do look larger than any shrews I have ever seen (thank heaven).:eek:

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Yourturn, it's all fruit. Too bad about the eBay boards being stripped of old posts. I believe I posted a few close-ups there, and may have been using my Photobucket account because it doesn't look like I have any on my computer.

I do have one on my computer that doesn't include the card. I started a new thread, because if we are having a discussion I'd rather not have it in this "finds" thread.

Fig

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  9. yourturntoloveit

Thank you, Figtree, for your explanation that it is fruit on the tray. I can see that now.

Hmmm, I wonder if downward-curved bananas were throwing me in the direction of mammals??? :rolleyes:

10. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

I wonder if downward-curved bananas were throwing me in the direction of mammals?

Boy is that a weird question taken out of context.

11. yourturntoloveit

Skeezix42, you are B-A-D, soooooooo Baaaaaaadddd!!! :hilarious:

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.......:)

" Hugh Graham, 1st Baron Atholstan, born in Athelstan (now Hinchinbrooke), Huntingdon County, Quebec in 1848, was a Canadian newspaper publisher.

P1010001.JPG P1010007.JPG P1010008.JPG

13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

My first post (other than my introduction) :happy:

This is my paternal grandmother Irena and her sister Alina, circa 1905, Poland.

irenaalina.jpg

14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

How sweet!

KingofThings likes this.
  15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Susan, my great grandfather had a general store in New London, CT at the same time. When my grandmother was young, she kept the books for the store.

Looking at the map, Pomfret and New London are almost on the same vertical line at opposite ends of the state. What a small world it is sometimes!

KingofThings likes this.
  16. Figtree3

Cute! And welcome!

Is it the Portland in Oregon? There is one in Maine also. And maybe others...

I am using my phone right now and couldn't tell if the photographer's imprint shows the city or not.

Fig

KingofThings likes this.
  17. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Thanks for the welcome!

And it's Poland, not Portland (it wasn't a typo, lol). While I don't know just where the photo studio was located, Irena and Alina were born and raised in the country of Poland. They were from a wealthy family and may have traveled. On a sobering side note, many years later Alina was killed in Auschwitz. Irena (my grandmother) lived through Auschwitz, Bergen-Belsen, and Ravensbruk. We are not of Jewish descent but my family was active in the resistance and were teachers and descendents of the nobles, considered the "intelligentsia".
    The following is a photo of my grandmother when she visited us in the USA (I'm the little blond girl), and also a photo from 1920 of Irena and my grandfather Stefan, around the time of their marriage. (He was taken away early in the war and died in a prison in Radom.)

FamilyMydlarz1.jpg irinastefan.jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  18. Figtree3

Oh, Poland! I'll blame that misreading on my phone's small screen. :banghead:

Oh, and I am very sorry to hear that she was killed!

Fig

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    bluumz and KingofThings like this.
  19. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Bluumz, I'm sorry, too.

The Polish members of my paternal grandfather's family who didn't emigrate to the U.S. lost there lives during the war when the Jewish population of their city was wiped out. It makes me a bit teary to hear of resistance workers who weren't Jewish but tried to help and then were persecuted. :(

bluumz and KingofThings like this.
  20. milestoneks

milestoneks Active Member

Without a close up, I would say he was a member of York Rite, which (as Susan stated), Knights Templar is a primary body of. One must become a 3rd degree Master Mason before entering into the other appendages of Masonry.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted