Featured Share your antique photographs here

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by terry5732, Apr 8, 2015.

1. ScanticAntiques

ScanticAntiques Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone!

Purchased this one for my personal collection.

Looks to be Spanish American War Soldiers.

But not sure!

Any help would be appreciated!
    I'd love to be able to at least have a bit of info to put with it haha :) IMG_0022.JPG IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0025.JPG

2. ScanticAntiques

Haha! So which one is oddly short or tall? Are the both odd heights?

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Was there not a height regulation even back then? My one great granduncle was turned down since he was only 5'1" at least that is what he always claimed.:eek: Maybe he lied.:coldfeet:
    greg

ScanticAntiques and KingofThings like this.
  4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Is it just me or is that an abnormally high pitch to that tent (if it even is a tent and not just a canvas/cloth over a pole because it doesn't look like it goes all the way to the ground) they are standing in front of? Perhaps it was a "utility" tent of some sort. The tent in the background (acknowledging that it is in the background) seems to have a "regular" height pitch to it (to me anyway :confused:).

Indeed, that is the long and the short of it.

ScanticAntiques and KingofThings like this.
  5. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Ohhh no !!
    I think we're at the height of it now , with some lows yet to come !!! :p:p

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

Hi, just thought I'd share a few photos from an album I came across recently. It belonged to Maria Bailey, a present on her 18th birthday in 1895 according to the inscription. Many of the photographs were taken in Macclesfield, Cheshire (UK) and I think I've identified the family, who were local to that area.

Anyway, I like this one just because of the style. North Walsham is in Norfolk, a long way from Macclesfield!
    1.jpg

The next one was taken by Felix Watson, Park Green Studio, Macclesfield. Can anyone enlighten me about the uniform? I wondering if he was connected to the Cheshire Militia which was based at the Barracks in Macclesfield until 1908 (I think):
    2.jpg

The lady in this third one seems to have an injury or disability. There's no information about the photographer and it's a little over exposed, but you can just about see that she's smoking a cigarette. I like her suit! But she doesn't look very comfortable :-/
    3.jpg

Vintage Maven, Joe2007, Pat P and 2 others like this.
  8. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Here is a scan of one of my glass negatives. Netta Wilson somewhere in Colorado 1903:

scan0012smaller.jpg
    scan0012-crop.jpg

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I am the master of all I survey !!!
    Book , she looks like one tough cookie !! :)

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Well she certainly had her soft side but she was a really cool lady.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. ScanticAntiques

Just picked this up for my personal collection!

Thought it was pretty interesting!

I was guessing Spanish American War / WW1?

Any opinions would be great on exactly what this is! :) IMG_0624.JPG IMG_0622.JPG IMG_0621.JPG

Joe2007, Batman_2000 and KingofThings like this.
  12. ScanticAntiques

True..... I just want to know what the youths verdict was? :)

KingofThings likes this.
  13. ScanticAntiques

Under "Peace or War"

It says "Young America's Verdict"

The Cross has "Patriotism, History, Religion, Morality" on it.

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I can see letters on the 2 shields on the right of the cross, but can't really see the words. Can you make them out with a magnifying glass? I wonder whether this event involved some kind of debate on the issue but without connection to a specific conflict.

KingofThings likes this.
  15. ScanticAntiques

Unfortunately I cannot! :(

Wish I could because I think it would help crack the case!

KingofThings likes this.
  16. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

17. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

Good old fultonhistory.com came up with the following, from The Rome Daily Sentinel, June 27th, 1899. The event took place in Floyd, a town in Oneida County, NY State:
    floyd.JPG

18. ScanticAntiques

How very

Wow! What a killer find! Thank you So much! I just framed the photo and put it on my wall, so I'm glad to know where and when it was from!

19. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

It seems "War, or Peace Young American Verdict" was a theme used by at least Methodists during their Children's Day event in June 1899 - not just in Oneida, NY. Here is a write up about it used at a Methodist children's, youth, event in Hampton, NH in June, 1899. It says the idea of Childrens Day was started by the Methodist in 1869. The 6th paragraph under the section "The Children's Day How it was Observed in our Churches" starts "The Second part of this event was titled "Peace or War, Young America's Verdict." BTW, the words on those shields to the right of the cross are "conquest" and "liberty" according to this article.

http://www.hampton.lib.nh.us/hampton/newspapers/hamptonunion/1899/18990614.htm#childrens

http://www.hampton.lib.nh.us/hampton/newspapers/hamptonunion/1899/18990614.htm

Here is the same theme used at a M.E. (Methodist Episcopal) church in Los Angeles on June 12, 1899
    http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=LAH18990612.2.109

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  20. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Very interesting finds, Susan!

(And may I say that I am so glad to see you! :singing: )

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted