Featured Share your vintage postcards here!

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Joe2007, Jan 2, 2017.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

cxgirl and Darkwing Manor like this.
  3. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

I found quite a large stash of postcards from the first part of the last century. Included were a handful of leather/animal skin hand written and decorated postcards. The leather is quite supple and nice. Thought I would share a couple. 9E34FED0-FCBF-4D07-B682-BD83BA5C7CA3.jpeg 2B5E2F5A-C438-43B8-A196-71EFAFA1CE02.jpeg 5968271A-8BFF-4F26-BF05-0D98BD2F2509.jpeg

4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Looks like a lot of fun! Happy hunting through that hoard.

pearlsnblume, cxgirl and Shwikman like this.
  5. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

More additions to my collection. Got about 30 cards in all. Here are a few selections.

postcard middletown ohio flood railroad engine stream shovel.jpg postcard buffalo ny larkin factories.jpg postcard zanesville y bridge.jpg

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

wow, great load of postcards Shwikman:) any seasonal (Halloween or Christmas) cards?

7. Shwikman

I only looked at a handful to check names, dates and cities but I’m guessing there will be. If you look at the last photo there’s a Thanksgiving card on top to the right.

Christmasjoy, pearlsnblume and cxgirl like this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I missed seeing the Turkey Day card:) Hoping that is a sign that there will be more seasonal cards in the box - Halloween and Christmas can be worth some serious money:)

Christmasjoy and Shwikman like this.
  9. Shwikman

Hope so too!
    Your celebrating turkey day on a Monday makes way more sense than our Thursday...IMO

cxgirl likes this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

When I was doing the bumming around Europe thing (it's vintage now), I visited a music-box museum in Utrecht and bought this postcard. The rather horrendous image of that soldier caught my eye.:
    z.jpg

Of course it's an illustration for a song about the kindness and compassion of the nuns. But still...

Here's a larger view:
    Netherlands Postcard Utrecht Music Box Museum Het Stille Klooster.jpg

And here's the tune:

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and Joe2007 like this.
  11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

On that same (and only) trip I was staying at a hostel in Paris when someone strted talking about the post card he had bought that day. I had seen the same card and thought it rather uninteresting, but he kept going on about how European/French the image was - with the traffic cop and the hat and the gloves and how it shows the paving and all. I decided he had a point and picked one up after all:
    zz.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  12. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Still adding to the hoard and learning a lot! Having the chance to converse with experienced collectors and see how they price things is very insightful.

postcard mansfield ohio train depot.jpg postcard portsmouth ohio festival.jpg postcard hamilton ohio flood high looking west.jpg

sch3gsd, cxgirl and yourturntoloveit like this.
  13. Shwikman

I got a chance to do some digging today, lots of seasonal/holiday cards so...

...Happy Easter!!
    AFE0AC4F-9340-4E6B-B435-1A71C7189641.jpeg 80CB8E46-1570-4AE7-95D1-95298ED16423.jpeg

sch3gsd, cxgirl, Joe2007 and 4 others like this.
  14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Nice grouping, Shwikman!

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  15. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Wow, Shwikman, some of those are really great! (I'm a sucker for rabbits & chickens.)

cxgirl and yourturntoloveit like this.
  16. Shwikman

17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

wow, what a fabulous collection of postcards:) thank-you for sharing them!!

Shwikman likes this.
  18. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Whoa doggies re the "You've got to be cruel to be kind" postcard(?).

The woman's hand holding the child in the chair is huge. She could probably span two octaves on a piano with that hand!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

cxgirl and Shwikman like this.
  19. Shwikman

I know!
    I’ve noticed that the woman in the “Honeymoon” card could possibly be a man playing a woman for the photograph. Possibly just a weird angle though.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  20. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Grabbed a quick snap of these as they passed through. Panorama postcards, all probably pre-dating 1920. Top left: Cremona. The rest, top to bottom: Pavia, Coastline near Genoa, Portofino, Coastline near La Spezia:
    z.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    sch3gsd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted