Featured Share your vintage postcards here!

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Joe2007, Jan 2, 2017.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

love this one:)

Joe2007 and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Got some for cards today. Here is a quick sampling.

postcard bristol va tannery.jpg postcard hamilton ohio champion paper.jpg postcard hamilton ohio high stree looking east aerial.jpg postcard hamilton ohio mainstreet.jpg postcard kansas city train sheds.jpg postcard halloween shadow.jpg

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The Halloween one is not your usual style, Joe! But it sure is neat!

Christmasjoy and Joe2007 like this.
  4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

@cxgirl - Halloween postcard alert!

Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

very nice Halloween card Joe2007, looks to be in good shape:)

Christmasjoy and Joe2007 like this.
  6. Makanudo

Makanudo There is no such thing as simple.Simple is hard.

I like the Kansas city train depo p.card

Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

At a new thrift today, they had a sealed clear bag titled: "old postcards", I hemmed and hawed as it was $12 and not allowed to open the bag, but could see a few things, and decided to get it in the end. Chances are I may have overpaid (...still haven't opened the bag), but will share the results tomorrow. I could see a few older French postcards, kind of cool -- a cat holding a book or something (the book part even being 3-D). So there might be a couple fun ones.

Stay tuned!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Christmasjoy, cxgirl and Jivvy like this.
  8. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Oooooo - I can't wait Lucille!

Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  9. Lucille.b

So, hard to say whether I'll recoup my $12, but maybe yes. My sense is that former owner held on to all of these, some in sort of a album setting, and the not impossible (as there are some empty spots in the album) that thrift had someone pull out the really good ones so this is what is left.

Here is the group:

Most, but not all, are French. These first ones have sort of a three-dimensional feature where there is a door you can open, the moon, the suitcase, the tent flap, etc. but not exactly sure how that works. There is a little metal tab, then behind the feature accordion like paper, but that isn't connected to the top, maybe over time the glue failed? Is there a name for these kind that have sort of a 3D feature?

p3.jpg p3b.jpg

A few U.S. Christmas ones stamped on the back 1909-1910:

p4.jpg

some Russian that look more vintage:

p6.jpg

A single Italian one I quite like, a print of course, artist's signature seems to be printed on the bottom.

p7.jpg

And this one is kind of cool:

p99.jpg

LOVE this guy -- a squeaker, but has the damage in the corner:

p8.jpg
    Then all the rest.... all of these pages are two-sided so this many on the back as well. Thinking minimal value on these:

p5.jpg
    Mostly like this sort of thing in the plastic sleeves:

p9.jpg

(Please share thoughts, if any. Thanks!)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

great score Lucille, you will more than make your money back:)
    The ones with moving parts are referred to as Mechanical postcards, for the squeaker one mention the googly eyes:)

Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  11. Bakersgma

Those are awesome, Lucille! I'm sure you will more than cover the 12 bucks!

12. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I love the mechanical ones, and the embossed Santa one, and what the heck is up with the Russian fox ones? Famous folk tale character?

Lucille.b and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE THEM !!! You can't go wrong with these ... :) Joy.

Lucille.b likes this.
  14. Lucille.b

So taking a better look at these, figured out what the French mechanical postcards are supposed to do. They have this pull out with b&w pics of the area:

post3.jpg post4.jpg post5.jpg

I finally got all of the others taken out of the sleeves. Over 50, but pretty generic. But there is one interesting thing...

post6.jpg post7.jpg
    95% of them are signed with no message, only "With Love, Joe" postjoe4.jpg postjoe5.jpg postjoe6.jpg

Even this one that seems to be made out in another language, then, "With Love, Joe." postjoe7.jpg

Pretty sweet. :)

15. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I LIKE Joe ... :)

Lucille.b likes this.
  16. Bakersgma

Very interesting, Lucille! That last one is written in German - and the original message is signed by "Else."

17. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Lucille, I think you have some pretty cool cards there - and I also think your $12 was VERY well spent!

18. SSS Spooner

SSS Spooner New Member

40percent.jpg Bridge Square Minneapolis 1906 G.A.R. Parade

Attached Files:

Joe2007, SBSVC, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  19. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Had a great day searching through boxes of postcards. Added over 100 to my hoard. Starting to branch out a bit more. See selection of newly purchased cards below.

postcard columbus ohio high street north.jpg postcard halloween girl w pumpkin boomstick.jpg postcard indianapolis ind speedway.jpg postcard marion ohio downtown courthouse.jpg postcard niagra falls interior turbines.jpg postcard thanksgiving turkey for dinner.jpg

20. Bakersgma

That Thanksgiving card is quite unusual I would think.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted