Featured Share your vintage postcards here!

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Joe2007, Jan 2, 2017.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

great Halloween and Thanksgiving cards @Joe2007 :)

2. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

3. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

More cards ….. think I need to slow down in my acquisitions a bit ….. who needs addictive substances when you have addictive postcard collecting.

postcard halloween jackolantern scaring hat off man.jpg postcard durham nc tobacco factory.jpg postcard easton pa firestation.jpg postcard fulton ky diner.jpg postcard european market.jpg

Jivvy and cxgirl like this.
  4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness, Joe2007, you have quite a variety of "locations" (cities/states) in your collection. and they represent quite a few years/decades, and dare I say centuries, don't they?

cxgirl likes this.
  5. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I mostly go by subject matter. If it catches my eye and is being offered at a good price, I find it hard to resist.

I've heard sports card collectors refer to their hobby as "cardboard crack" and I can certainly see why they refer to it this way.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Do you know what's going on in the last card?

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  7. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I was discussing that with the seller of the card. Looks like and indoor market somewhere in Eastern Europe. You can see the animal carcasses in the foreground. The location of the card and the writing on the back is in a foreign language that I and the seller didn't know. I was thinking Poland or another of the Slavic countries.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I was wondering about butchering versus skinning for pelts. Tried to read the bigger signs and could not tell what language either - although I was in the same general area.

9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

10. Makanudo

Makanudo There is no such thing as simple.Simple is hard.

The language on the card is czechoslovakian and it seems to be a very large market, so it must be in a big city. Dresses though look typical for slovak women, so my guess is some of the bigger slovak cities

Jivvy, Bakersgma and Joe2007 like this.
  11. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Some cards from an inexpensive bulk lot, so I have a few cents in each of these.

postcard california lazios.jpg postcard cincinnati carew tower.jpg postcard cincinnati crosley field.jpg postcard florida fish pile.jpg postcard grand canyon.jpg postcard las vegas el rancho pool.jpg postcard las vegas last frontier hotel.jpg

12. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Some more postcards from an antique mall, most $1-$2 each

postcard barberton ohio tuscawaras avenue.jpg postcard coolidge graves.jpg postcard detroit ford plant daily output.jpg postcard st petersburg fla central ave.jpg postcard toronto exhibition.jpg

Makanudo likes this.
  13. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

More cards

postcard columbus amusement park olentengy.jpg postcard columbus broad and high.jpg postcard columbus high north to grey.jpg postcard crestline oh me church.jpg

Makanudo likes this.
  14. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

More cards from antique shop. A little over $1 each for these. No big scores but I had fun looking through them.
    postcard dallas tx fair racetrack.jpg postcard gary ind washington st.jpg postcard sandusky ohio columbus ave.jpg

SBSVC likes this.
  15. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Postcards from the last few weeks

postcard  chicago illinois central depot front.jpg postcard chicago illinois central station birdseye.jpg postcard  goshen ind main street.jpg postcard cincinnati oh from first national bank bldg.jpg postcard cincinnati richter jewelry.jpg postcard dayton oh callahan bank bldg.jpg postcard dayton savings and trust co dayton oh.jpg postcard hamilton ohio bridge 1911.jpg postcard hamilton ohio north 3rd st flood 1913.jpg postcard louisville ky looking northeast from courthouse.jpg

16. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

postcard midland mich church.jpg postcard atlanta ga prudential bldg.jpg postcard florida exaggerated tomatoes.jpg postcard louisville ky market street.jpg postcard minneapolis minn nicollet avenue.jpg postcard new york greetings.jpg

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    yourturntoloveit and Bakersgma like this.
  17. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Got an album of steamship and ferry postcards. About 50 to 60 total. See sampling below.

postcard steamer lot 1.jpg postcard steamer lot 2.jpg postcard steamer lot 3.jpg postcard steamer lot 4.jpg postcard steamer lot 5.jpg postcard steamer lot 6.jpg postcard steamer lot 7.jpg postcard steamer lot 8.jpg

yourturntoloveit and Makanudo like this.
  18. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

19. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

More postcard finds! I posted the first two as some of my favorite purchases of the year in the other thread. They were not cheap but they are rare, really cool, and I love them. The next 3 cards are relatively inexpensive in the $3 to $4 dollar range each.
    postcard cincinnati newport ky wiedermanns beers brewery.jpg postcard cincinnati early ballpark grandstand.jpg postcard oil city pa transit shops.jpg postcard findlay ohio refinery.jpg postcard newark ohio warden house.jpg

Makanudo likes this.
  20. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Joe - I love the steam boat and paddle boat postcards.
    What will you do with them?

Draft saved Draft deleted