Featured Share your vintage postcards here!

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Joe2007, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Probably going to hold on to most of them for the moment. There are a handful of real photo postcards that are definite keepers. Going to combine these with riverfront scene postcards that I already had. I really need to work on my organization system for postcards since I have most of higher value cards grouped together and then the rest organized by state and city.

2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Just wondering - some people would keep the album together as found. It sounds like you are integrating the cards into your collection.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Yes I am integrating them. In my mind that is what makes a good collector, is the continual relentless process of trying to add to the collection and strengthen it by adding choice bits acquired from other collections in interesting ways.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Yes, I agree, a good collector. As opposed to a good dealer, perhaps.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Yes. Perhaps someday I hope to get into reselling part-time in order to subsidize my collecting activities but currently most of my goals are currently collector driven. If I do decide to take a business perspective perhaps it would be best if I sold items I like but am not actively collecting. Several antique dealers I know sell mostly the goods that they formerly collected so there are no conflicts of interests but they still have an excellent knowledge of values, trends, and what the end user wants.

6. Decka

Decka Active Member

E8B2BF30-3F19-4EA2-80F6-4A3C98B7427A.jpeg This is a WW1 postcard of the S.S. Beltana signed by returning Australian soldiers.

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

A final impulse buy to usher out the holiday season and 2019:
    z.jpg

8. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

A few new years postcards from my collection!

postcard new years 2.jpg postcard new years 3.jpg postcard new years 1.jpg

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Some of my hundreds that were in my aunt's collection. I have to start selling them because none of my kids are interested. IMG_7798.JPG IMG_7787.JPG IMG_7798.JPG IMG_7809.JPG IMG_7813 2.JPG IMG_7819 2.JPG

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Reported.

Debora

Christmasjoy and Joe2007 like this.
  11. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

More postcards, hopefully the spam is soon banished from this forum.

I really liked the advertising card!

postcard mckeesport pa fifth ave.jpg postcard allegan mich locust street.jpg postcard ravenna ohio cleveland worsted mills co.jpg postcard youngstown ohio dam and flour mill.jpg postcard advertising gendron baby products.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I love the old downtown street scenes

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

1907 & 1908 - By the postal stamp

COLLECTIBLE POSTCARDS WWII 2AA.jpg COLLECTIBLE POSTCARD PAIR BURNING BUILDING & SAILORS LOADING GUN 2AA.JPG

Christmasjoy and Joe2007 like this.
  14. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

A few more recent additions

postcard covington ky pike street streetscape.jpg postcard harbor springs michigan post office.jpg postcard patriotic flag girl.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. Decka

Decka Active Member

16. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

18. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Excellent card Decka

A few more cards of my own
    postcard cleveland superior arcade.jpg postcard dayton ohio national cash register bindery.jpg postcard iowa packing plant.jpg

19. Decka

Decka Active Member

20. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Thanks!

It is has been growing rather rapidly in recent years. Found a local postcard club and a couple of antique and collectables shows that have vendors with lots of postcards to sift through. Many antique malls, flea market, and estate auctions occasionally have postcards too and you can find some underpriced diamonds in the rough if you know what to look for.

Draft saved Draft deleted