Featured Share your vintage postcards here!

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Joe2007, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I've been interested in early 20th-century real photo postcards for the past few years. Here is one of two young men playing a guitar and a zither(?) in front of a very plain backdrop. And they were apparently outdoors. Leaves are visible in the top right corner. This one is also unusual because the image is printed rather crookedly onto the card.

Guitar and zither RPPC (643x1024).jpg

2. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

A few more new additions - all inexpensive at or under $2 each.

postcard fredonia ny fire company.jpg postcard cincinnati central parkway roadway.jpg postcard newport ky baptist church.jpg postcard louisville ky reality building.jpg

moreotherstuff, cxgirl and Figtree3 like this.
  3. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

A few more new additions! Really, really love the liquor store card.
    postcard cincinnati ubinko farm feed.jpg postcard lima ohio golden hill liquor co.jpg postcard manchester NH union station birds eye.jpg postcard winder ga cotton mill.jpg

moreotherstuff and cxgirl like this.
  4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

More cards! This time of Springfield, Ohio a small city with a rich history of business and industry which unfortunately has demolished in wholesale fashion most of that history.

postcard springfield electric railroad depot.jpg postcard springfield ohio arcade 1.jpg postcard springfield ohio publising co building.jpg

5. NCSophie

NCSophie Member

Bobs Motor Court.jpg Ranch Motel.jpg Back before the big Interstates were built folks got where they were going on the winding US Highways. These two motels are on part of old US 17, right down the street from where I live. We still don't have an Interstate in the area, but first they rerouted the highway to make it four lanes and then they put in a bypass around the whole area. These little Mom and Pop motels are still there, but have fallen far from their heyday.

6. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Cool! Those linen advertising cards are always neat. Motel postcards are fairly common but seem to have an avid following among collectors.

7. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Some more postcards added to the hoard, probably about a 100 overall at the local stamp show. See selection below. Also check out my baseball stadium postcard thread for a few new additions.

postcard akron ohio diamond rubber co.jpg postcard athens ohio court street auto club.jpg postcard cincinnati ohio baldwin piano factory.jpg postcard coshocton ohio main street stores.jpg postcard freeport illinois birdseye main laboratories.jpg postcard pittsburg pa downtown view ohio and the monongahela rivers.jpg

moreotherstuff and cxgirl like this.
  8. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

9. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

More cards! I think I'm addicted to cardboard!! (or paper or whatever it is!)

postcard forest city pa coal mine.jpg postcard escanaba mich railroad depot.jpg postcard cincinnati oh view of downtown from mt adams.jpg postcard portland oregon skyscrapers downtown.jpg

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Here's one from my collection. Mailed in 1937. Looks very different there now, although some of the buildings in the picture are still standing. Chicago skyline near the Chicago River with Lake Michigan in the background.

Chicago skyline pc (1024x652).jpg

cxgirl, Joe2007 and Bookahtoo like this.
  11. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

The development of Chicago's downtown is fascinating. Despite the overall economic health of Chicagoland being hardly optimal, the loop is still adding additional buildings and density.

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Being a bit spoon-obsessed, have a small collection of spoon postcards - these are some old pics of some of them:

1909 advertising postcard for Towle's Lafayette pattern:
    [​IMG]
    Leather postcard, 1907 postmark, based on Jerome Kern's first big hit song from 1905, from the play 'The Earl and the Girl' with Eddie Foy:
    [​IMG]

English "souvenir spoons" illustrated by Fred Spurgin, the symbols on the shields are of a romantic nature:
    [​IMG]

Chummy moon and spoon, 1910 postmark:
    [​IMG]

Turkey-day postcard, 1913 postmark, made in several variations:
    [​IMG]

"Spooners Delight", published by J. Thomas, 1908 - have seen at least a couple pf dozen different scenes:
    [​IMG]

Nine more 'Spooners Delight', framed, from my collection:
    [​IMG]

~Cheryl

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Spoon cases that were on my dining room wall, spaced with framed postcards (sorry, poor pics):
    [​IMG]

British, looks like it may be a Mabel Lucie Attwell illustration, but not signed:[​IMG]

American, Bernhardt Wall illustration:
    [​IMG]

American with a wishbone:
    [​IMG]

P. Sanders embossed and airbrushed patriotic baby, 1907, have seen it in many different colorways:
    [​IMG]

Two from a series of man-in-the-moon spooning postcards:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And couldn't locate my pics of the last two, but here are images of ones like them, Julius Bien, part of a series with several different types of spoons:
    spoonPCbientwoteaspoons.jpg

spoonPCbientwoicecreamspoons.jpg

~Cheryl

14. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Wow, Cheryl! Just WOW!

lloyd249 and cxgirl like this.
  15. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Going through some postcards I bought at auction a few years ago in bulk. Pulled these Disneyland and Disney World cards out a lot that I was planning on selling at a yard sale (if Coronavirus spares any of Summer). Disney postcards can be worth a good bit, sometimes $8 per card, although the Disneyland (California) postcards seem to sell much better than Disney World (Florida) cards. Found 19 Disney related cards total, 8 pictured here. Mostly from the 70's and 80's.

Disney 01.jpg Disney 02.jpg Disney 03.jpg Disney 04.jpg Disney 05.jpg Disney 06.jpg Disney 07.jpg Disney 08.jpg

16. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

One of 5 postcards of Riga most from the first decade of 1900. Saved by my grandfather's parents, who fled Latvia to the USA after the failed revolution of 1905. This is the only one not having one or more pinholes from pinning up to remind of what they left. Date on this says 1897, but I don't know if that's its actual date.
    postcard-01s.jpg postcard-02s.jpg

moreotherstuff and Joe2007 like this.
  17. smallaxe

These were postmarked 1946.
    postcard-03s.jpg

18. smallaxe

My family's photo postcards from the Panama Canal Zone during its construction, Christmas 1909 and New Year's 1910.
    postcard-04s.jpg

19. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Cool! Were your ancestors involved in the construction of the Canal?

20. smallaxe

Yes. My grandmother is the baby in the photo postcards. Her dad worked in the railroad shops during construction, then stayed on when the canal went into operation. My dad was born and raised there. Lots of relatives worked in the Canal Zone. The last one I know of retired a couple years ago. We have some interesting collectibles from there, but they're not really antiques.

Bookahtoo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted