Featured Share your vintage postcards here!

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Joe2007, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Some more postcards that I've finally gotten around to photographing. They were from a bulk lot and likely not worth a whole lot. Still kind of interesting, especially the motels. Will be posting some better stuff soon after I take some more photos.

postcard downtown san francisco california.jpg postcard empress motel.jpg postcard greetings from florida.jpg postcard motel 01.jpg postcard sands motel.jpg postcards greetings from alabama.jpg

quirkygirl and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I like those old motel ones.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  3. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Got the real photo postcards from an estate auction in the New Richmond, OH area. Some of them have old time Cincinnati photographer studio names and addresses on them but little other identifying info. The heir of this particular estate didn't want any of her families personal effects and just wanted it all gone fast. Some of the auction attendees found sensitive paperwork and handed it over to the executor who just threw it into a big overflowing dumpster where anyone with ill intentions could have easily grabbed it. Got some great deals at that auction. My parents and I paid a $1 for the contents of a old bureau that had a bunch of linens, a really nice old jewelry loupe (which my parents wanted) and these postcards and some old photographs (which I wanted).
    postcard out of new richmond ohio estate auction 01.jpg postcard out of new richmond ohio estate auction 02.jpg postcard out of new richmond ohio estate auction 03.jpg postcard out of new richmond ohio estate auction 04.jpg postcard out of new richmond ohio estate auction 05.jpg postcard out of new richmond ohio estate auction 06.jpg postcard out of new richmond ohio estate auction 07.jpg

4. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

RPPC of Miss Adams Candy Shop, Erie PA, I believe. Card is postmarked May 16, 1931 Erie, PA, sent to Pittsburgh PA.

MissAdams.jpg

Aquitaine, Joe2007 and quirkygirl like this.
  5. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

More postcards added to the hoard!
    postcard coshocton ohio warwick mines.jpg postcard dayton ohio reibold building.jpg postcard findlay ohio porcelain works.jpg postcard kalamazoo stove co.jpg postcard miamisburg oh flood.jpg postcard middletown ohio rapid transit signage.jpg postcard moline illinois velie carriage co.jpg postcard uniontown pa coke ovens.jpg postcard uniontown pa phillips works.jpg

6. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

7. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

8. Makanudo

Makanudo There is no such thing as simple.Simple is hard.

9. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Recent addition that I really enjoy. Can't seem to capture the level of detail that can be seen in hand. Love the old signage. postcard storefront grocery and meat market.jpg

10. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

New additions to the collection
    Postcard Appleton Wis Downtown.jpg Postcard Cedar Rapids Iowa 3rd Street 2.jpg Postcard Cedar Rapids Iowa 3rd Street.jpg Postcard Cincinnati OH Conservatory In Eden Park.jpg Postcard Cincinnati OH Lippincott co.jpg Postcard Cincinnati Skyscrapper District.jpg Postcard Cincinnati St Francis Hospital.jpg Postcard Cleveland OH Superior Viaduct.jpg Postcard Dayton OH 3rd Street Arcade.jpg Postcard Eaton OH Barron Street.jpg

Aquitaine and yourturntoloveit like this.
  11. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

12. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Postcard Wilmington OH South Street.jpg

More new additions not photographed. Overall a really good few weeks for my postcard collection. It is really a niche with an endless number of cards to chase, you could have millions of them and still find plenty of ones you didn't have.

13. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

More additions for the never ending postcard thread!

Please add yours in too. Would love to see what postcards you folks are finding.

postcard akron ohio bf goodrich tire.jpg postcard cincinnati ohio ox teams mill creek.jpg postcard cincinnati ohio vernon manor hotel.jpg postcard covington ky lagoon amusement park entrance.jpg postcard dayton ohio flood 4th street east.jpg postcard ft thomas ky us regulars soldiers.jpg

14. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I've had this one for several years. It was given by a friend who knows I collect antique photographs. This one is a real photo postcard. Many are not marked with a photographer's name but this one is. The Isaac F. Hertzog studios, with several locations in Pennsylvania. I love both the child and the chair!

Italian child Hertzog Pennsylvania resized.JPG

Italian child Hertzog Pennsylvania2 resized.JPG

16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think a lot of photographers used postcard formatted paper when doing prints. I think there are a lot of family photos out there that were never intended for commercial production but nonetheless have the appearance of postcards.

Joe2007, bercrystal and Figtree3 like this.
  17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Exactly. I've read a couple of histories of real photo postcards of this type. Not the tourism-related cards, nor the type that depicted celebrities. Most real photo postcards of the early 20th century were made in small batches just for families.

18. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Another cool postcard for my hoard!

Postcard Youngstown Ohio Fire Department Auto.jpg

19. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

More antique postcards!!

postcard cincinnati firefighting water tower in action.jpg postcard harrison ohio birds eye view.jpg postcard political william jennings bryan.jpg

20. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Some more inexpensive postcards purchased at a small antique mall.
    postcard columbus ohio mckinley monument.jpg postcard columbus ohio OSU main building.jpg postcard columbus ohio state school for the blind.jpg postcard columbus ohio statue state capitol.jpg postcard marion ohio high school.jpg postcard toledo ohio memorial hall.jpg postcard toledo ohio nasby building.jpg postcard toledo ohio toledo hospital.jpg

moreotherstuff, Makanudo and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted