Featured Share your vintage postcards here!

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Joe2007, Jan 2, 2017.

1. joe blowski

joe blowski Active Member

Here's a Package of souvenir cards from Cornell U in Ithaca NY. There are 16 cards in a continuous fall. Any idea of age? Thanks! PackageFront.jpg PackageFrontFlapOpen.jpg PackageTripFalls.jpg

moreotherstuff and Joe2007 like this.
  2. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

moreotherstuff likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd think that's a little late. One of the ways to date postcards is by their stamp box. I suggest you post a photograph of the address panel. Another method of dating is by car models and clothing styles. If there are any postcards that include either, you should post photographs of them as well.

Debora

smallaxe and moreotherstuff like this.
  4. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

It looks like 30's or 40's to me. Similar to a souvenir card set I have of Chicago scenes. If it's like mine, the individual cards are not each their own individual postcards, but the outside of the whole packet has an address area so the entire packet can be mailed.

5. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Got this vintage brewery postcard that I really like. This one isn't overly valuable but if you find postcards of other breweries you would be well served to look up completed listings on the bay.

postcard milwaukee schlitz brewery.jpg

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Interesting historic postcard (not particularly rare). Operatic soprano Luisa Tetrazzini holds an open air Christmas Eve concert, San Francisco, 1910 – just 4 years after the great earthquake. Drew a crowd of 100,000. To the left you can see Lotta’s fountain (gifted to the city by actress Lotta Crabtree in 1875), which still stands today.

z.jpg

7. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

8. Jay Downs

Jay Downs Member

9. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

10. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Great postcards Joe!

You've probably told us, but how do you store or display your cards?

11. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I have a few library card catalog cabinets that are wide enough for postcards and I also have a small antique wooden 5 drawer filing cabinet that works well too! Bulk lower value cards are in big plastic stackable tubs.

12. Bookahtoo

Do you sort them in any way?

Are most of your postcards linen postcards?

I have hundreds, maybe a thousand postcards at my store, and I love them, but I only have about five here at home that I have decided to keep. I have a postcard 3 ring notebook with archival plastic pages with pockets of 2 different sizes, that DS#1 gave me for Christmas years ago. I decided to finally use it for the ones I'm keeping, as well as a few pieces of small ephemera. It turns out I have to get some additional pages with assorted size pockets.

SBSVC likes this.
  13. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Sorting them is the hardest part! But also part of the fun. I have the bulk of the high value RPPCs together; sorted by city and sometimes subject matter (like baseball stadiums/team photos).
    I have a lot of linen cards but am focusing on the early cards and RPPCs now. I will throw up another topic today with some of the better cards.

SBSVC and Figtree3 like this.
  14. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

A few recent finds. The agricultural one is a lotus field.

postcard confederate monument louisville ky.jpg postcard Lotus Field.jpg postcard maryland state sanatarium.jpg postcard pretty woman with flowers.jpg postcard warm work bevan ohio.jpg

Figtree3 and Darkwing Manor like this.
  15. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

16. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

17. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Now this was an expensive postcard purchased from an antique dealer for my collection of RPPCs. It does check a lot of boxes in subject matter areas that collectors like. Petroliana (Shell Signage/Old Gas Pumps), Coca-Cola, Ice Cream Advertisements, and an old car. It is postmarked from Maine.

Postcard Maine - DSC07017.jpg

18. Bookahtoo

Ooooo - very nice Joe.

19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Got this recently. Really don't know how old it is but, having it in hand, it doesn't seem very old:
    postcard Christmas New Years 02dja.jpg

Darkwing Manor and Joe2007 like this.
  20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's signed Youngblood and dated underneath. Looks like "91."

Debora

moreotherstuff and smallaxe like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted