Featured Share your vintage postcards here!

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Joe2007, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Nice postcards TashD! They are fun to collect and they really give us a snapshot into the distant past.

Here are a few more that I recently acquired.

union station columbus.jpg grand central new york.jpg superior arcade cleveland.jpg music hall cincinnati.jpg patriotic postcard.jpg

2. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Was going thru a box that I got at an auction about a year ago and found this card among a bunch of newer cards! Apparently the first time thru the box I must have missed it. Not this time, it now resides with my keepers!
    DSC09678.JPG

3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Here's another beauty from my Aunt's collection. Gold border.

IMG_7848.jpg IMG_7850.jpg

LIbraryLady, cxgirl, Joe2007 and 4 others like this.
  4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Recent finds: Some dealers in antique malls price far cheaper than others!
    postcard 1 2-11-18.jpg postcard 2 2-11-18.jpg postcard 3 2-11-18.jpg postcard 4 2-11-18.jpg

5. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

6. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Love the "Mills Restaurant" (next to last) card, especially the advertising "Famous for Good Food and Interested (emphasis added) Service." ;)

cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

love this card:)

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I'm sorting through a couple of boxes of postcards, here are a few to enjoy. I love reading the message on the back:)
    DSCF4449.jpg DSCF4450.jpg DSCF4452.jpg DSCF4455.jpg DSCF4460.jpg DSCF4454.jpg DSCF4461.jpg DSCF4458.jpg

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Those ostriches look like they're being herded by the gators! :hilarious:

Love the Nahant, MA view from near the lighthouse. I used to live in Lynn (which you must go through to get to Nahant.) ;)

10. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I really like the photo (postcard) of the "tomatoes" from Florida -- one question remains -- were they still "juicy"? ;)

11. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Just going through the 1000 + postcards from the recent clearance and found these early tourist ones from the Netherlands dated 1902 and 1913 @Any Jewelry

img061.jpg
    img062.jpg

img063.jpg

These from Belgium dated 1902 but no pictures just just writing, Grupont & Dinant @kristiaan

img064.jpg

img065.jpg

A non PC one advertising a Midget show in Germany.

img068.jpg

A 1905 one from Cambridge which is Aluminium coated.

img067.jpg

Attached Files:

Makanudo, Batman_2000, cxgirl and 5 others like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The first one of Wandelhoofd: "Koningin Wilhelmina", is of the first pier at Scheveningen near The Hague. The pier was built in 1901, it was destroyed by the Germans who thought it would be perfect for an Allied invasion.:rolleyes:

I love the second one. It is of two girls in the traditional dress of Middelburger Ambacht, the region around the town of Middelburg in the southwest of the country. This is an interesting photograph, the girls and women of Middelburger Ambacht began to wear Middelburg dress (which is slightly different) ca 1900. Not all at once, obviously, but they thought it more classy to dress like Middelburg people.

The last Dutch one is the Stedelijk Museum (of Modern Art) as it used to look. It now has an extension nicknamed the bathtub:
    [​IMG]

13. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

A few more inexpensive postcards from an auction lot I purchased.

postcard florida 1.jpg postcard memphis 1.jpg postcard wisconsin 1.jpg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  14. daveydempsey

Who is this Gal on a British postcard.
    Real photo card postmarked 1902
    For the life of me I can`t decipher that signature,
    surname looks like Terriso

img169.jpg

15. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Ellaline Terriss
    [​IMG]
    Born Mary Ellaline Lewin
    13 April 1871
    Stanley, Falkland Islands
    Died 16 June 1971 (aged 100)
    Hampstead, London, England
    Occupation Actress
    Spouse(s) Seymour Hicks (1893–1949; his death) 2 children
    Mary Ellaline Terriss, Lady Hicks (13 April 1871 – 16 June 1971), known professionally as Ellaline Terriss, was a popular English actress and singer, best known for her performances in Edwardian musical comedies. She met and married the actor-producer Seymour Hicks in 1893, and the two collaborated on many projects for the stage and screen.

16. daveydempsey

Superb , thankyou :D

yourturntoloveit and SBSVC like this.
  17. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

A coworker was doing some spring cleaning and gifted me some postcards!

postcard - highway LA.jpg postcard - republic pictures.jpg postcard - treasure chest gift shop.jpg postcard - tucker motel.jpg

18. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Purchased some postcards at auction ......

postcard stack 1.jpg postcard center street reno.jpg postcard detroit mich downtown.jpg postcard pittsburgh downtown aerial.jpg postcard union depot worcester.jpg

19. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  20. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

A few more recently acquired streetscapes

postcard worchester mass street.jpg postcard reno nevada streetscape.jpg postcard prescott ark.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted