Featured Silver AH? gemstone bow dangle pendant

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Jun 25, 2022.

1. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

KSW, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

3. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Thankyou for the jewelry history lesson AJ . The comment abut bows was intersting to me since I have a number of silver bow brooches.

kyratango, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The tradition goes back a long way, which is nice to know even if you have modern bow jewellery.

kyratango likes this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Late 18th!! :jawdrop:
    Mary insists they are gemstones not glass she just can’t make up her mind what. Much as I moan about her she doesn’t normally say things are gemstone when they are glass or vice versa. I think that’s a great suggestion that I should get it checked by a decent jeweller. Now to find one who knows anything about antique jewellery……
    Thankyou :kiss:but honestly pure blind luck that I must be looking in the right places also maybe a little obsessional about looking at everything twice just in case and picking up anything that is even slightly out of the ordinary. Also I’m usually looking for things that others aren’t so they get left behind by the gold hunters or those looking for modern bling.
    I am officially excited! :smug:You are all so kind to celebrate someone else’s finds :kiss:

I’m REALLY excited now! I’ve never owned something so old.
    Those links were fabulous,Thankyou @kyratango , especially the part about pendeloque. This suggests 1770, does the gold plating on mine make it a bit later or is this about right?
    That link really needs pinning as its so informative about dating Georgian jewellery.
    Last question, do I clean it?:nailbiting:
    77821EBD-D43E-4D1F-9602-B45D890B5E78.jpeg

stracci, bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I'm excited!!!

KSW likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

About the bow shape on pendants, this is from the sketchbook of Dutch goldsmith and gem dealer Thomas Cletcher (Antwerp 1598 - The Hague 1666).
    Both pendants are shown on ribbons to give an impression of how they can be worn. The pendant on the right, a pendeloque much like yours, already shows the bow shape in gold and diamonds, but on a ribbon just the same:;)

upload_2022-6-26_19-10-54.jpeg
    Museum Boijmans van Beuningen, Rotterdam

Detail of a portrait of Thomas Cletcher's wife Anna Hoeufft wearing one of Thomas' creations, a diamond pendant, worn on a silk bow. It is likely that the pearls for the necklace were also imported by Thomas:

upload_2022-6-26_19-14-28.jpeg

Wiki page on Thomas Cletcher: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Cletcher

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    stracci, bercrystal and KSW like this.
  8. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

I will chime in. In my humble opinion, I would place it as Georgian era. Do not be surprised if the gemstones are real - they would need testing - and foil backed (so use care in cleaning. I would be surprised if it was not silver. As jewelry was repurposed, unless complete, it would be difficult to say with certainty what it was originally, though with the articulated sections, I will venture a guess that it was an earring, repurposed to a pendant. Given your location, I can say with certainty that it originated somewhere in Europe.... lol

I have to edit, because my post followed someone that did research...lol... So maybe it was a pendant of some type, but I am personally leaning to an earring :)

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted