Featured Slow...Slow...Here we go!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Apr 23, 2022.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I was actually just about to ask if you buy/sell other stuff. It was actually my hunt for cheap silver that got me into being an overall seller of vintage/antiques. It was simply too painful to go to sales/stores in search of silver and come up empty handed. I ended up realizing there were other opportunities to be had and that I had to start figuring them out so that my trips weren’t a total waste. I dipped my toes in slow, buying items under $10 at thrift stores while looking for silver. Silver is still my favorite thing but these types of scores are obviously far between. There are so many silver hunters that will pay so much that I don’t even know how they make $. It’s diversify or bust as far as I see it when it comes to hunting cheap silver.

pearlsnblume, bercrystal and MrNate like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The local stores have caught wise to silver; they even overprice the plated stuff. One trip in 50 to a regular thrift might be an understatement. I go through the local Ill Will at least weekly; I found a vase with a silver base about two months ago, but the previous silver score was two years earlier.

pearlsnblume and MrNate like this.
  3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Wow, great find. I am especially envious of your polishing ability. The idea of polishing silver gives me the willies. LOL

I could just swear my grandparents had a silver basket like that but I have no idea if it was real silver or not. It is long gone.
    Kudos to you for all the hard work and great payoffs.

komokwa and MrNate like this.
  4. Silverthorne

Silverthorne Well-Known Member

MrN - that thing did indeed look like Armentale prior to treatment by your deft digits! Now...Whew!

MrNate likes this.
  5. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

This one wasn't worth it's own post (in my opinion) but I went out to a store today and had the good fortune to find this little guy:

IMG_4960.jpg IMG_4961.jpg IMG_4962.jpg IMG_4963.jpg IMG_4964.jpg IMG_4965.jpg

bercrystal, stracci, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You may have a tughra in the 4th pic.

pearlsnblume and MrNate like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

8. evelyb30

If it's not it's a copy. Nice little score! I'm lucky to even find silverplate in my Ill Will. Walked in today, walked around, and walked out. I"m glad someone is finding something.

MrNate likes this.
  9. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you, when I was looking at it in the store, I remembered the previous forum discussion about these and I recognized the symbol, but I couldn't remember the term for it. Funny enough I didn't even find the 800 mark until I got home; the tone of the silver and the flexibility was enough for me to make the purchase.

bercrystal, Houseful and komokwa like this.
  10. evelyb30

This is one time a joolie would have an edge. The tugrah in the center was dead obvious to anyone buying old jewelry, or any coin collector.

bercrystal and MrNate like this.
  11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Great finds, Mr. Nate. Beautiful job with the polish as well.

12. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you for both compliments @Lucille.b , I can't decide if I like the finding or the polishing more ;)

Lucille.b likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted