Featured So what got you started ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by charlie cheswick, Dec 14, 2022.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Pre certification horror videos were My first omg can't believe what that sold for eBay experience

Not that you see them anymore, but your talking £300 - £500 + for the early video nasties

509486350.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My dad was a rail nut's rail nut. If it had a train on it or near it, he wanted it. We never did get a caboose in the back yard, town zoning regulations, but if he could have he would have! I still have a hard time passing railroadiana by, although I did just sell a good chunk of his timetable collection for pennies. Mom was going to trash them.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: He passed his packrat tendancies on to me, along with the family knee. Could have done without the knee.

3. charlie cheswick

Yeah I can understand the railroadiana thing, not alone in his passion I bet

You make me laugh evey :)

4. evelyb30

His main thing was live steam and those guys have pretty well died off. There are still diesel and model fans around though.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Live steam is still a huge thing here. I've done steam on the Met. Fabulous.

Charlie, it was a three part divided KPM porcelain dish. Mama used it for fruit. I still do. A whole sixpence.

6. charlie cheswick

Yep, always been a force to be reckoned with, kpm n all that

Even in infancy

One of the best is obb

7. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

I never have been a huge collector, had a stamp collection as a kid which got packed away and pretty much forgotten. But I loved to read. Young adult literature: Nancy Drew, Cherry Ames, Little Women. That broadened to A. J. Cronin, James Michener and many more that I can't remember, that will pop back into memory at 3 a.m. some morning. But the buying and selling came much later. I frequented the St. Vincent's here in Wisconsin, always watching for reasonable clothes for my growing kids, both very tall with very distinct tastes. On one occasion I saw a huge box of gorgeous blue and white china with a fairly sizable price on it (at that point in time, about 25 years ago probably around $25.00). I watched it sit through several visits until it was 75% off and on a whim I bought it. I knew it was good china, Mintons. I had never seen Mintons china but knew the name from some novel I had read who knows how long ago. I took it home and using the online tutorials, learned how to sell on eBay. My first sale was 2 cups and saucers of Mintons Gower. They sold for more than the original price of the whole box. I went on to sell bits and pieces of that set, along with other things I picked up and researched, for probably 2 years. I think there is still a large lid and maybe a dinner plate stuffed in a tub somewhere in storage. I now sell in 3 antique malls that net me enough to afford a vacation every summer with my kids, Christmas gifts and the ability to support a number of charities I could not otherwise afford. Of course, this avocation has taken over my entire house with stuff, in tubs and boxes, on shelves and hanging in closets and covering most flat surfaces. But my kids stopped threatening to call Hoarders when I let them in on how much I was making! Besides, my "job" is shopping, what woman doesn't love that?

Linda

8. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I should have added back in my earlier post that I inherited my antique habit too, from my mother. She's been doing it a long time, and still does, but has cut back the last few years. She's in the US Midwest and most of her interests are 'country': farmhouse stuff, quilts, crockery etc. Not my interests, but still the habit's there. It sounds like quite a few of us learned this by watching our folks do it.

9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

7DC5926E-1CF5-4DE0-AC74-140A01AC9069.jpeg What for me started was this silver plate Christofle pepper grinder from ocean liner. Sadly not the Titanic. Purchase price $2.
    Great thread @charlie cheswick!

10. charlie cheswick

Well, you know you've always been close to my heart inh

11. i need help

You’re so sweet.

12. charlie cheswick

It's a half bag of truth and drunkeness

But you are special to me, always will be

13. charlie cheswick

Just been told a friend of mine has been found dead

Ben, aspergers

Got too drunk and walked into the mud banks

14. i need help

Sorry about your friend, Charlie.

15. charlie cheswick

judy likes this.
  16. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Our condolences Charlie and to his friends & family-so very sorry.

17. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Yikes! So sorry to hear that.

18. evelyb30

That stinks. Sorry, Charlie.

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Sad news.....Charles.
    my condolences.......& sympathy !!!!

20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member