SOAJ antique brass tray??

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Kathleen Hooley, Jan 30, 2020.

1. I acquired this beautiful brass tray at an estate auction. The owners had a beautiful selection of antiques. The back of this tray had a taped handwritten note indicating this was an antique Jeypore brass tray. It is meticulously engraved. I can't find a signature or makers mark. I would appreciate your help identifying it and period please. Thanks in advance. tray4.JPG tray4.JPG tray3.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

need a close-up of the design work - pics are hard to make out - also try the correct spelling - "Jaipur" on google for other trays

3. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

Jeypore was a place in India that produced the finest metalwork items, I have done a post on a table I have from there (see below) I suspect yours will be also very fine but from the photos you posted it's very hard to tell. You need to look closely at the back for "school of art Jeypore" if it has that mark it makes it very special indeed.
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/indian-brass-table-school-of-art-jeypore.21680/

judy likes this.
  4. Thank you. I've cleaned it up and couldn't find any type of mark. Probably not SOAJ . I did view your table previously and admired it. What a beautiful piece.

808 raver and judy like this.
  5. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

Without seeing the detail close up I couldn't tell you but not all fantastic Jeypore works are marked with SOAJ, I'm happy to give you my opinion if you post detailed photos.

Draft saved Draft deleted