Featured Statue's toes broken off by tourist taking a selfie.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Any Jewelry, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Update:
    The tourist who broke poor Paolina's toes has apologized and offers to pay for the damage:

"The man, who lives in the Austrian village of Aistersheim, has offered to pay for the cost of restoring the work, reports Italian news agency ANSA. The provincial court in Treviso is still deciding whether or not to press charges in the case."
    https://news.artnet.com/art-world/austrian-tourist-apologizes-breaking-canova-sculpture-1899926

[​IMG]

This is how it happened. It wasn't a selfie, as first reported, someone else took the ever so important photo.:rolleyes: At the end of the video you see him adjusting the broken toes.:banghead::banghead:

2. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I bet the bill for the repair is going to be quite substantial. Is it even possible to make a good repair that won't be noticeable?

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Yes it can be repaired without showing except under UV light. I had an idiot housekeeper break a ceramic that was worth thousands and it still closed at auction for serious money with of course full disclosure. The repair was not visible.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

spam reported

Any Jewelry and reader like this.
  5. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

From what I hear you would enjoy the uffizi right now!

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Spam reported

Any Jewelry, Bakersgma and reader like this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Does not bode well for the continued survival of the Human Species,and if we do prevail despite ourselves-the planet will have the final harvest.War is our fallback,in the breaks between we annihilate schools and more.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Philistines.

As antique lovers, we of all people should know that a broken piece can never be the same, even with a great repair. The value tends to diminish.

kyratango, Fern77 and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. bosko69

Whoa-Who's Spamming ? Better not be me blabbing-how do you recognize Spam ?

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

at the lower left of each post is a time stamp....

u'v been posting on older threads where no one has answered for months or years.

Sometimes we get criminals who SPAM across many threads.....and whomever sees them first should report them and post SPAM......so others will not click on any tempting .....but dangerous links !

:playful:.....;):hungry:

11. bosko69

So Komokwa- there'll be a ton of identical click-bait, running simultaneously across many threads & forums all blasting away w/ the same time stamp (and of course all disguised) ?. What kind of s*^# are they trying to steal or sell us ?

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They want to sell us junk, modern furniture or jewellery being the most innocent.
    I won't get into the least innocent.:rolleyes:

kyratango likes this.
  13. bosko69

Got stop these da*%# cyber leaks-I'll have to get Phil at Flex Seal on this ! More & more cons............

14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

For quite a while they were trying to sell us drugs - not the illicit kind. There would be an opening paragraph of epic size and then an offer buried near the end.

15. bosko69

Unfortunately lots of the Painkillers (sold thru so-called 'real' Canadian' Pharmacies and other phony Pharmacy Fronts,masquerading as authentic USP FDA Genuine Vicodin,etc) is actually our old friend FENTANYL- and will end Granny & her arthritis pain in seconds.

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you gotta wonder what's a foot when some folks want to poison the illegal drug supply........I mean....remember paraquat !!!

17. bosko69

right on bro-so many Nam vets were given a slow,cruel death because of Paraquat & Agent Orange.The gifts of a grateful nation i suppose,i think the gravestone is paid for though.

18. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

breakfast.jpg Aw, Walter! ;)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  19. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

But as to poor Paolina, I'd say, "has offered to pay for the cost" doesn't even start to cut it. I mean, "offered" as in, OK, if I absolutely must.

Draft saved Draft deleted